Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Problem generating new .sof file with unlicensed IP : "NIOS II processor"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using Quartus II to generate a new .sof file that includes a NIOS II processor core, but when I start 

assembler to construct my new .sof file I have the problem of license (like in the attachment), and I 

can't generate so how could I resolve this problem please ?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Buy both licenses or use time limited sof file.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is time limited sof file and how to use it ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the generated file will be called xxxx_time_limited.sof 

You can use it as a regular .sof file, but you will have a message window saying you are in evaluation mode. Keep that window open and your design will work fine. 

You also won't be able to flash your design as long as you don't buy the licenses.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok but how to generate this time_limited.sof ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is generated automatically.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For me it's not generated when I start assembler, so is there an option, or no, to create a x_time_limited .sof ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Read the output window. Probably there are other problems.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Excepted the warnings I posted in my first comment (Warning: Unlicensed IP: "Nios II Processor(6AF7 00A2)" 

Warning: Unlicensed IP: ""Triple Speed Ethernet"(6AF7 00BD)") I have nothing else,  

so I suppose that I can't even generate a xxx_time_limited.sof and I'm obliged to buy both licenses ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Then it should be generated automatically... Post the directory listing of the project to pastebin, but do a full recompilation before.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'm trying to use the IP Megacore Triple Speed Ethernet without limitation. So I have to buy a license. The question is: where and how? The altera site confuse me... I found the web page in attachment (I can't put web links in my script, because I'm a beginner...)  

The Embedded IP Suite is priced at $995.  

Is correct? before to spend a lot of money I want to be sure that it will be ok! :cool: 

Dario
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok thanks I generated it !

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Contact your local distributor to buy a licence. You can either buy this bundle which include the TSE, Nios and a few other things, or buy the TSE alone.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok I'll do it thanks

0 Kudos
HungLam
Beginner

Hi,

I am getting the same issue. Cannot generate a time-limited .sof file. Keep getting unlicensed IP error for nios as well as the third party IP.

But when I comment out nios subsystem from my design I do not get any error and I am able to generate a .sof file

0 Kudos