Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Problem running ModelSim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I have just install Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit in my computer and I have install Quartus 2. It works well but I canꞌt use ModelSim, I recieve an error that says:  

Error: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file. Check the NativeLink log file 

And the content of this file is: 

Info: Start Nativelink Simulation process 

Info: NativeLink has detected Verilog design -- Verilog simulation models will be used 

========= EDA Simulation Settings ===================== 

Sim Mode : RTL 

Family : cycloneii 

Quartus root : /home/juan/altera/13.0sp1/quartus/linux/ 

Quartus sim root : /home/juan/altera/13.0sp1/quartus/eda/sim_lib 

Simulation Tool : modelsim-altera 

Simulation Language : verilog 

Simulation Mode : GUI 

Sim Output File :  

Sim SDF file :  

Sim dir : simulation/modelsim 

======================================================= 

Info: Starting NativeLink simulation with ModelSim-Altera software 

Sourced NativeLink script /home/juan/altera/13.0sp1/quartus/common/tcl/internal/nativelink/modelsim.tcl 

Error: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file. 

Error: NativeLink simulation flow was NOT successful 

================The following additional information is provided to help identify the cause of error while running nativelink scripts================= 

Nativelink TCL script failed with errorCode: issued_nl_message 

Nativelink TCL script failed with errorInfo: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file. 

while executing 

"error "$emsg" "" "issued_nl_message"" 

invoked from within 

"if [ catch {exec $vsim_cmd -version} version_str] { 

set emsg "Can't launch $tool Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed..." 

(procedure "launch_sim" line 89) 

invoked from within 

"launch_sim launch_args_hash" 

("eval" body line 1) 

invoked from within 

"eval launch_sim launch_args_hash" 

invoked from within 

"if [ info exists ::errorCode ] { 

set savedCode $::errorCode 

set savedInfo $::errorInfo 

error $result $savedInfo $savedCode 

} else { 

..." 

invoked from within 

"if [catch {eval launch_sim launch_args_hash} result ] { 

set status 1 

if [ info exists ::errorCode ] { 

set sav..." 

(procedure "run_sim" line 78) 

invoked from within 

"run_sim run_sim_args_hash" 

invoked from within 

"if [ info exists ::errorCode ] { 

set savedInfo $::errorInfo 

error "$result" $savedInfo $savedCode 

} else { 

er..." 

(procedure "run_eda_simulation_tool" line 330) 

invoked from within 

"run_eda_simulation_tool eda_opts_hash" 

I'm new using Quartus in ubuntu so I'm a little lost, I would be grateful if you can help me. I've been looking for solutions on google and but I have not found a lot. I found something about removing the .altera folder but it doesn't work for me. Thank you.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It looks like you installed the non-free Modelsim Altera version (with mixed VHDL/Verilog capability). You probably want to install the free Altera Starter Edition (which doesn't support mixed VHDL/Verilog simulation) and doesn't need a license file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much for your answer. I installed the free version but I have reinstalled it again and I get the same error, the project I used was only Verilog and I could simulate it in Windows. I tried to give all the permissions to the install folder of modelsim but the error is still the same. Thank you for your help!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you very much for your answer. I installed the free version but I have reinstalled it again and I get the same error, the project I used was only Verilog and I could simulate it in Windows. I tried to give all the permissions to the install folder of modelsim but the error is still the same. Thank you for your help! 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi 

I have the same problem and same error on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, Quartus 13.0 works well (subscription edition, with a network license), but not MultiSim-Altera, either Starter Edition or Normal Edition. 

On my previous Ubuntu 12.04 32bit, everything worked perfectly.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, I'm facing the same problem and I would like a help 

I use Linux Mint 17 - 64 bit, I've installed 32 bit libraries but ModelSim still does not work.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having similar problems trying to run ModelSim-Altera Starter version 14.1.0.186 on Windows 7. See attachments.