Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

Problem running software on Cyclone 3 board.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm currently developing software application to run on my nios processor using Nios2 SBT. 

I have designed my board to glow the LED's depending on the values it reads from the register. I'm developing software to write into the register through Avalon bus interface. But, to get the BSP's and other files required i used an existing example from the templates( Hello world small) and generated BSP's and built the project. So out of curiosity i tried running Hello world small .elf file generated on my board. But i get the following message when i download the .elf on my board 

" Pausing target processor : Not responding 

Resetting and trying again : OK 

Initiating CPU cache <if present> 

OK 

Downloaded 1KB 0.0s\Verified OK 

Starting processor at address 0x00008020" 

Then when i try and run it it does not work but terminates. 

So my question is "Is it because my board is designed to function differently from the developed software or is there any other problem" 

Please help.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

do you have jtag connection on Qsys(SOPC builder)?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes i do..i have a jtag module in my sopc.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hum. 

who create the Qsys? 

vendor? you?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I created the Qsys. Thank you for your Help. It is working now. 

Hello World message was not displayed because i had connected cpu instruction master to Jtag module instead of cpu data master. After i made the change  

its working and message gets displayed. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all. 

Now that I have Built the SOPC and able to download the *.elf on the board. I'm now trying to add more code to accept data from console and write to the register. 

But now i'm facing another problem on how to scan characters from the console and writing into the register. 

Should i create a pointer to the Jtag module..?  

Please help. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos