Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Problem when downloading zImage to DE2-115 (cont.)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This is jpe1313, 

What I was saying was that are any of your entries your generated *.dts file "unknown." Take a look. If they are "unknown" then it COULD be a problem. For my custom design my "timer" was undefined and I had to define it properly. As far as the SD card. To clarify, I am not using the SD card in my design. I have a daughter card that has a Compact Flash.  

Let me know if you need more help - but check your DTS 

--- Quote End ---  

I am not able to post without administrator's approval. So i sent my message here. I maybe wrote 5-6 times both topics but it seems all admins are sleeping. Please email me (occelebi at gmail) Because i can not send any message more than 1 

Anyway, i have no unknown parameters.  

/* 

* This devicetree is generated by sopc2dts on Fri Apr 19 16:30:38 EEST 2013 

* Sopc2dts is written by Walter Goossens <waltergoossens@home.nl

* in cooperation with the nios2 community <Nios2-dev@sopc.et.ntust.edu.tw

*/ 

/dts-v1/; 

/ { 

model = "ALTR,onur"; 

compatible = "ALTR,onur"; 

# address-cells = < 1 >; 

# size-cells = < 1 >; 

cpus { 

# address-cells = < 1 >; 

# size-cells = < 0 >; 

cpu: cpu@0x0 { 

device_type = "cpu"; 

compatible = "ALTR,nios2-12.1"; 

reg = < 0x00000000 >; 

interrupt-controller; 

# interrupt-cells = < 1 >; 

clock-frequency = < 50000000 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.CPU_FREQ type NUMBER */ 

dcache-line-size = < 32 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.DCACHE_LINE_SIZE type NUMBER */ 

icache-line-size = < 32 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.ICACHE_LINE_SIZE type NUMBER */ 

dcache-size = < 2048 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.DCACHE_SIZE type NUMBER */ 

icache-size = < 4096 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.ICACHE_SIZE type NUMBER */ 

ALTR,implementation = "fast"; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.CPU_IMPLEMENTATION type STRING*/ 

ALTR,pid-num-bits = < 8 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.PROCESS_ID_NUM_BITS type NUMBER */ 

ALTR,tlb-num-ways = < 16 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.TLB_NUM_WAYS type NUMBER */ 

ALTR,tlb-num-entries = < 256 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.TLB_NUM_ENTRIES type NUMBER */ 

ALTR,tlb-ptr-sz = < 8 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.TLB_PTR_SZ type NUMBER */ 

ALTR,has-mul; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.HARDWARE_MULTIPLY_PRESENT type NUMBER*/ 

ALTR,reset-addr = < 0xc0000000 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.RESET_ADDR type NUMBER */ 

ALTR,fast-tlb-miss-addr = < 0xc8001000 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.FAST_TLB_MISS_EXCEPTION_ADDR type NUMBER */ 

ALTR,exception-addr = < 0xc0000020 >; /* embeddedsw.CMacro.EXCEPTION_ADDR type NUMBER */ 

}; //end cpu@0x0 (cpu) 

}; //end cpus 

memory@0 { 

device_type = "memory"; 

reg = < 0x08001000 0x00000400 

0x00000000 0x08000000 >; 

}; //end memory@0 

sopc@0 { 

device_type = "soc"; 

ranges; 

# address-cells = < 1 >; 

# size-cells = < 1 >; 

compatible = "ALTR,avalon", "simple-bus"; 

bus-frequency = < 50000000 >; 

jtag: serial@0x8001440 { 

compatible = "ALTR,juart-12.1", "ALTR,juart-1.0"; 

reg = < 0x08001440 0x00000008 >; 

interrupt-parent = < &cpu >; 

interrupts = < 1 >; 

}; //end serial@0x8001440 (jtag) 

timer: timer@0x8001420 { 

compatible = "ALTR,timer-12.1", "ALTR,timer-1.0"; 

reg = < 0x08001420 0x00000020 >; 

interrupt-parent = < &cpu >; 

interrupts = < 0 >; 

clock-frequency = < 50000000 >; 

}; //end timer@0x8001420 (timer) 

}; //end sopc@0 

chosen { 

bootargs = "debug console=ttyJ0,115200"; 

}; //end chosen 

}; //end / 

And i also made my friend compile my kernel and .sopc file and tried to new zImage but terminal gave me same output :/ 

root@F15:~# altera/12.1/nios2eds/bin/nios2-download -g /home/student/Downloads/zImage 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [8-1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: not responding. 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused 

I hope you can even help further.  

Regards, 

Cem
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Usually if your processor can't be even reset the problem is your processor is not running. It will happen if you have no clock. Also, check your compilation report for critical warnings. Unassigned pins may cause this problem too. Check for timing issues. If you have a processor with the jtag-debug enabled and the processor is running then the processor should be successfully reset through the jtag debug interface by the nios2-download command.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

Usually if your processor can't be even reset the problem is your processor is not running. It will happen if you have no clock. Also, check your compilation report for critical warnings. Unassigned pins may cause this problem too. Check for timing issues. If you have a processor with the jtag-debug enabled and the processor is running then the processor should be successfully reset through the jtag debug interface by the nios2-download command. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for your help. There are such a clock which i dont know where to assign them. So i paste here all critical errors. 

Critical Warning (332012): Synopsys Design Constraints File file not found: 'onur.sdc'. A Synopsys Design Constraints File is required by the TimeQuest Timing Analyzer to get proper timing constraints. Without it, the Compiler will not properly optimize the design. 

Critical Warning (332168): The following clock transfers have no clock uncertainty assignment. For more accurate results, apply clock uncertainty assignments or use the derive_clock_uncertainty command. 

Critical Warning (332169): From altera_reserved_tck (Rise) to altera_reserved_tck (Rise) (setup and hold) 

Critical Warning (332169): From altera_reserved_tck (Rise) to altera_reserved_tck (Fall) (setup and hold) 

Critical Warning (332169): From altera_reserved_tck (Fall) to altera_reserved_tck (Fall) (setup and hold) 

Critical Warning (332012): Synopsys Design Constraints File file not found: 'onur.sdc'. A Synopsys Design Constraints File is required by the TimeQuest Timing Analyzer to get proper timing constraints. Without it, the Compiler will not properly optimize the design. 

Critical Warning (332168): The following clock transfers have no clock uncertainty assignment. For more accurate results, apply clock uncertainty assignments or use the derive_clock_uncertainty command. 

Critical Warning (332169): From altera_reserved_tck (Rise) to altera_reserved_tck (Rise) (setup and hold) 

Critical Warning (332169): From altera_reserved_tck (Rise) to altera_reserved_tck (Fall) (setup and hold) 

Critical Warning (332169): From altera_reserved_tck (Fall) to altera_reserved_tck (Fall) (setup and hold) 

Or maybe you want to edit it yourself. In this case i've sent my files too.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm sorry, your .tar doesn't include all the files I need. Can you please create a project archive? 

From the "Project" menu, select "Archive Project". It will create a .qar file you can post here. Only the .qsys will be missing, but you've sent that already.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sure, i can. You can find that in attachment. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please check the switches on your board. You have your reset signal set to SW17. 

Your design seems to be working. I can only reproduce your error when I set SW17 to OFF (closer to the board edge).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I set SW 17 to ON (UP) and tried it again, but it did not work. Same error appeared again.  

Did you generate a new zImage ? Maybe something is missing on that part.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The error you are getting is not related to your zImage. The process of resetting the processor should work with any image, even a nios2-elf (though it would fail afterwards). 

I'm attaching the sof I compiled from your project, try and see if it works for you, it is the one which is working here. 

Unfortunatelly I can't send you the zImage, but it must work with yours. If not, I'd advice you to check your board (with other designs, maybe the board test system). 

Here is the command I used and its output. 

~/Downloads/onur_restored$ nios2-configure-sof output_files/onur.sof && nios2-download -g ~/nios2-linux/uClinux-dist/images/zImage Info: ******************************************************************* Info: Running Quartus II 64-Bit Programmer Info: Command: quartus_pgm --no_banner --mode=jtag -o p;./output_files/onur.sof Info (213045): Using programming cable "USB-Blaster " Info (213011): Using programming file ./output_files/onur.sof with checksum 0x008EA0A1 for device EP4CE115F29@1 Info (209060): Started Programmer operation at Mon May 6 09:39:28 2013 Info (209016): Configuring device index 1 Info (209017): Device 1 contains JTAG ID code 0x020F70DD Info (209007): Configuration succeeded -- 1 device(s) configured Info (209011): Successfully performed operation(s) Info (209061): Ended Programmer operation at Mon May 6 09:39:34 2013 Info: Quartus II 64-Bit Programmer was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings Info: Peak virtual memory: 281 megabytes Info: Processing ended: Mon May 6 09:39:34 2013 Info: Elapsed time: 00:00:07 Info: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:01 Using cable "USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0x00 Pausing target processor: OK Initializing CPU cache (if present) OK Downloading D13E0000 (76%)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, finally it works !  

root@F15:~# altera/12.1/nios2eds/bin/nios2-download -g /home/student/luclinux/uClinux-dist/linux-2.6.x/arch/nios2/boot/zImage  

Using cable "USB-Blaster [8-1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: OK 

Initializing CPU cache (if present) 

OK 

Downloaded 1421KB in 28.6s (49.6KB/s) 

Verifying C1000000 ( 0%) 

Verify failed between address 0xC1000000 and 0xC100FFFF 

Leaving target processor paused 

And i also wonder that how to make it work ?  

But now i am stucked on nios2-terminal. 

root@F15:~/altera/12.1/nios2eds/bin#./nios2-terminal 

nios2-terminal: connected to hardware target using JTAG UART on cable 

nios2-terminal: "USB-Blaster [8-1]", device 1, instance 0 

nios2-terminal: (Use the IDE stop button or Ctrl-C to terminate) 

It stucks on there.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You got "Verify failed". It means the image was not correctly written to your memory device at address 0X01000000 + 0xC0000000 (offset added by MMU) 

If you are using the same .qsys you sent me there's no memory at this address. It means your kernel is misconfigured. You must set your memory base address in the kernel configuration menu. Also, your memory must be working fine, otherwise you'll get the same error. 

Good luck!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I ignored the message you pointed out due to happiness of success. 

Ok lets examine kernel configuration. Memory base address is set to 0x0 and Link address offset is set to 0x0100_0000.  

As you know SDRAM starts at 0x0000_0000 in my .qsys file. So how to configure kernel to get it work ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, sorry, there's a SDRAM at 0x00000000 so it should be working. If it can't write to the memory and read the same content (verify) it means your memory is not working properly. Your design seems to be missing a clock to your SDRAM. You should add a PLL to generate a clock to your SDRAM. Please take a look at the projects found in the board CD-ROM (you can download it from Terasic site). You will find the right PLL configuration and other valuable information in these reference designs.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've tried to design it with UP clocks that comes from Altera University program. But it did not work. Strange thing is that i can not even download zImage to board again. The error is the same as i had before. 

Pausing target processor: not responding. Resetting and trying again: FAILED Leaving target processor paused  

I also attached the design that produces that output.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "UP clocks". 

I've just added the PLL and connected the clock output to the DRAM_CLK pin PIN_AE5 (from DE2-115.qsf file available in Terasic site). The SDRAM is working now. There only difference from your project is the Qsys file and the pin assignment. The pin assignment is shown below and the new Qsys file is attached. I've successfully run uCLinux and though I can't sent you my zImage I guess yours should work too. 

set_location_assignment PIN_AE5 -to DRAM_CLK  

Please note that this design is far from good, it should at least have a SDC file. Though the design is now working, I want to make sure you understood what happened here so you can do it by yourself when you need.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe i did the work as you said. But even so it still did not work. I've attached files.  

I started to believe my zImage may be somehow broken or make progress fails even it generates zImage in /uClinux-dist/linux-2.6.x/arch/nios2/boot directory.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems that i don't know how to compile from .qsys and generate .sof file. Because i am able compile and build these files and got .sof file. But it does not work. But your file which you've send me works smoothly. So, could you please explain me step by step what to do in compilation and build stage ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Actually I did the following steps, you can try to do it and see what you get. 

1. Open the project you posted, onur.qar 

2. Copy Qsys project you posted, inside quartus1.tar, to the project directory, where onur.qpf is located 

3. Edit your Qsys system in order to add a PLL. You can see the specs and connections I used or just use the Qsys I posted. You will export a pll output so your system will have an additional pin. 

4. Generate your system. Make sure the path where the system will be generated is the same of the .qip file you added to your Quartus project. 

5. Elaborate your project. Open the pin planner. Assign the newly created pin to PIN_AE5, which is the memory clock pin. 

6. Compile your project. 

I'm attaching my .sof with the working memory for you to make sure you zImage is working.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you. I managed to download and made it verify succesfully. But now it seems there is no filesystem to mount. Have you encountered that ? 

root@F15:~/altera/12.1/nios2eds/bin# ./nios2-terminal nios2-terminal: connected to hardware target using JTAG UART on cable nios2-terminal: "USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0 nios2-terminal: (Use the IDE stop button or Ctrl-C to terminate) Linux version 3.7.0-01377-g1061bd7-dirty (root@F15) (gcc version 4.1.2)# 16 Thu May 9 11:05:35 EEST 2013 bootconsole enabled early_console initialized at 0xe8001440 On node 0 totalpages: 32768 free_area_init_node: node 0, pgdat c02faac0, node_mem_map c0310780 DMA zone: 256 pages used for memmap DMA zone: 0 pages reserved DMA zone: 32512 pages, LIFO batch:7 pcpu-alloc: s0 r0 d32768 u32768 alloc=1*32768 pcpu-alloc: 0 Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on. Total pages: 32512 Kernel command line: PID hash table entries: 512 (order: -1, 2048 bytes) Dentry cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes) Inode-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes) Memory available: 126776k/3130k RAM (2387k kernel code, 742k data) NR_IRQS:64 Calibrating delay loop... 23.45 BogoMIPS (lpj=46912) pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301 Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 NET: Registered protocol family 16 bio: create slab <bio-0> at 0 Switching to clocksource timer NET: Registered protocol family 2 TCP established hash table entries: 4096 (order: 3, 32768 bytes) TCP bind hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes) TCP: Hash tables configured (established 4096 bind 4096) TCP: reno registered UDP hash table entries: 256 (order: 0, 4096 bytes) UDP-Lite hash table entries: 256 (order: 0, 4096 bytes) NET: Registered protocol family 1 RPC: Registered named UNIX socket transport module. RPC: Registered udp transport module. RPC: Registered tcp transport module. RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module. jffs2: version 2.2. (NAND) © 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc. msgmni has been set to 247 Block layer SCSI generic (bsg) driver version 0.4 loaded (major 254) io scheduler noop registered io scheduler deadline registered io scheduler cfq registered (default) ttyJ0 at MMIO 0x8001440 (irq = 1) is a Altera JTAG UART console enabled, bootconsole disabled console enabled, bootconsole disabled mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice TCP: cubic registered NET: Registered protocol family 17 List of all partitions: No filesystem could mount root, tried: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm sorry, I've never had this problem. But I think I've seen it before on forums and all over the internet. I guess you'll find the answer easily. 

I'm pretty sure you have something wrong in your kernel configuration, but I don't know how to help you here.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got it work ! The problem about rootfs is that there is no rootfs that is called after kernel initialization. I included .cpio file into my kernel then problem disappeared.  

Thanks, I really appreciated your contribution. New problem arised that I am able to compile the .sof file but after that i can not download my zImage in to the board. Weirdly, my design that compiled by you works smoothly. I tried to compile .sof file in my Windows machine too. But result remains same. Have you any idea about it ?
0 Kudos