Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12604 Discussions

Problem with “Flash Problem”

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

The Flash Programmer can’t access my custom board. The error message is as follows: 

“There is a problem with the target board. Check the target board selection in SOPC Builder for this system.” 

Where can I get more information about this? The system was always running without any problem.  

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We had kind of the same problem - the problem arose because we started using a flash from Spansion. The flash supports the CFI format/protocol, but unfortunately, the Spansion flash is more picky about CFI, and thus we experienced the same problem. 

What happens is that the programmer will download a "flash programmer" design to your board, it will then use the CFI functions to figure out how the flash is configured (banks, sizes etc). Finally the flash chip will be programmed. We kept getting the error message you mentioned, so... 

We then tried to program the flash by downloading a small program via JTAG, the program would try to write stuff to the flash using the alt_flash functions. 

This kept failing, so singlestepping through the code, we realized that the alt_flash_ functions did not work with the Spansion flash, since we have the source code, we where able to fix the error. 

I suggest you make a small "hello, world" type application, and then try to open, and write stuff to your flash. Try singlestepping through the code (inside the alt_flash_ routines), and figure out why it fails.  

But at some point, the flash programmer should be recompiled so that it will work with other CFI flash devices.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

niosIIuser, 

try: open SOPC-builder , close SOPC-builder, open Flash-programmer 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello morten_tor, 

Thank you for your tips. Unfortunately this will not help because the error comes up before the button “Program Flash” is activated. And the board was running exactly in this configuration. I don’t know why there are problems now. 

Yesterday I figured out then when the SOPC Builder is open sometimes the error message does not appear and programming the flash does work. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by mir@Feb 1 2005, 04:08 PM 

niosiiuser, 

try: open sopc-builder , close sopc-builder, open flash-programmer 

mike 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello MiR, 

I’m sorry I haven’t seen your post before answering to “morten_tor“. What have written does help but could you tell me why? 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello niosIIuser, 

we're answering at the same time. 

I don't know why this works. I think there is a problem with javaw.exe which is used by both programs. In the past there was an error resulting in hanging of javaw.exe. This one is solved. 

Sorry, no further idea. 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mike, 

Thanks for your help. I think I can live with this bug. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos