Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

Problem with configure FPGA by preloader with SD/MMC stored the rbf file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, guys! 

I followed the Altera ug_soc_eds.pdf guide with edition 14.0 to configure FPGA by preloader 

with RBF file stored in SD/MMC(which is shown in page 135/159). The guide said that I need 

to Modify <bsp directory>/uboot-socfpga/include/configs/socfpga_common.h to have macro 

config_spl_fpga_load defined. but when I open the file I only found the macro have been 

defined like below:789 /*enabled program the FPGA */ 

790# undef CONFIG_SPL_FPGA_LOAD 

I think the above is to make sure that the macro is undefined, and this maybe means the 

default configure will disable preloade configure FPGA. 

And the guide says before I change the .h file I shoud fire make preloader with the FAT_ENABE 

checked. I follwed this and make succeed. After that I comment the line 790 and add the line#define CONFIG_SPL_FPGA_LOAD 

After changed it, when I make the image the below message shows: 

spl.c: In function 'spl_program_fpga_sd_fat': 

spl.c:238:8: error: 'CONFIG_SPL_SDRAM_ECC_PADDING' undeclared (first use in this function) 

& ~(CONFIG_SPL_SDRAM_ECC_PADDING - 1)), 

spl.c:238:8: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in 

make[3]: *** [/WinF/mywork/project.docs/refdesign/helio_ghrd_v14.0_w_Preloader/software/spl_bsp/uboot-socfpga/spl/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga/spl.o] Error 1 

make[3]: Leaving directory `/WinF/mywork/project.docs/refdesign/helio_ghrd_v14.0_w_Preloader/software/spl_bsp/uboot-socfpga/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga' 

make[2]: *** [/WinF/mywork/project.docs/refdesign/helio_ghrd_v14.0_w_Preloader/software/spl_bsp/uboot-socfpga/spl/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga/libsocfpga.o] Error 2 

make[2]: Leaving directory `/WinF/mywork/project.docs/refdesign/helio_ghrd_v14.0_w_Preloader/software/spl_bsp/uboot-socfpga/spl' 

make[1]: *** [spl/u-boot-spl.bin] Error 2 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/WinF/mywork/project.docs/refdesign/helio_ghrd_v14.0_w_Preloader/software/spl_bsp/uboot-socfpga' 

make: *** [uboot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl.bin] Error 2 

And when I checked the documents for GHRD 13.1 on rocketboards.org I found that they only support  

configure FPGA by preloader with QSPI not SD/MMC. So I want to know the current(14.0) edition really 

still not support configure FPGA with rbf stored in SD/MMC. If this is the truth I think the current soc_eds  

guide maybe misleading. 

Or somebody may help me found that I should change somewhere else to make the compile succeed. 

Thanks in advance! 

[Note] I use CentOS 6.5 x86_64 and Quartus 14.0.
0 Kudos
0 Replies