Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

Problem with fifo API (How to use fifo correctly)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good day! I collect my system using: nios nco, fir and cic filters. In my case I use dsp-processor for control nco. NCO require AvST bridge, so I decided to use fifo between nios and nco. 

First, I decided to make such system: NIOS, which store code frequency for nco (32 bits word), when fifo (I use it like a bridge AvMM-AvST) and second fifo (as bridge AvST-AvMM). In this system I want to write one word to fifo and read it, but have some problems and also simulate it in Modelsim. 

But I have some problem - you can see my word didn't read/write via fifo. I suggest there are some problem in the code - may be I didn't adjust fifo correctly. 

I use fifo's API: 

1) altera_avalon_fifo_init – init fifo 

2) altera_avalon_fifo_write_fifo – write to fifo 

3) altera_avalon_fifo_read_fifo – read from fifo 

My code: 

/* * main.c * * Created on: 26.02.2015 * Author: Roman */ //Includes# include "io.h"# include "altera_avalon_fifo_regs.h"# include "altera_avalon_fifo_util.h"# include "system.h"# include "sys/alt_irq.h"# include <stdio.h># include <stdlib.h># define ALMOST_EMPTY 2# define ALMOST_FULL FIFO_0_IN_CSR_FIFO_DEPTH-3 int main(){ //reset the fifo's irq history register altera_avalon_fifo_clear_event(FIFO_0_IN_CSR_BASE, ALTERA_AVALON_FIFO_EVENT_ALL); //First FIFO (AvMM - AvST) int b = 0xab; //initializes the FIFO wr altera_avalon_fifo_init(FIFO_0_IN_CSR_BASE, //the base address of the FIFO control slave 0, //the value to write to the interruptenable register ALMOST_EMPTY, //the value for the almost empty threshold (&#1087;&#1086;&#1088;&#1086;&#1075;) level ALMOST_FULL); //the value for the most full threshold level //write a, b into fifo altera_avalon_fifo_write_fifo(FIFO_0_IN_BASE, //the base address of the fifo write slave FIFO_0_IN_CSR_BASE, //the base address of the fifo control slave b); //value to write to address //read a,b from fifo altera_avalon_fifo_read_fifo(FIFO_0_IN_BASE, //the base address of the fifo read slave FIFO_0_IN_CSR_BASE); //the base address of the fifo control slave //Second FIFO (AvST - AvMM) //initializes the FIFO e = altera_avalon_fifo_init(FIFO_1_IN_CSR_BASE, //the base address of the FIFO control slave 0, //the value to write to the interruptenable register ALMOST_EMPTY, //the value for the almost empty threshold (&#1087;&#1086;&#1088;&#1086;&#1075;) level ALMOST_FULL); //the value for the most full threshold level //write d into fifo g = altera_avalon_fifo_write_fifo(FIFO_1_OUT_BASE, //the base address of the fifo write slave FIFO_1_IN_CSR_BASE, //the base address of the fifo control slave d); //value to write to address //read e,f from fifo h = altera_avalon_fifo_read_fifo(FIFO_1_OUT_BASE, //the base address of the fifo read slave FIFO_1_IN_CSR_BASE); //the base address of the fifo control slave return 0; }  

I will glad to hear all your advices.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anybody work with FIFO in Nios, using API?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello ,  

my nios II/e have to write on my Fifo. 

i don't have a probleme with Qsys or Quartus. 

my problem is the c program on nios eclipse. 

Can you help me ?