Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Problem writing .SOF plus .ELF files with NiosII ECLIPSE FLASH PROGRAMMER using quartus 18.0 : error 8 during flash writing

Ftiglius
Beginner

Hi to everyone! We need to flash Fpga configuration + NiosII software (to boot application "on place"). This method runs with older versions. Attempting to write SOF + ELF on flash (with common USB Blaster) we have always, after two good answers during process, an error 8 , reported on attached file. This stop all our attempts to boot an embedded sw application for Nios on our HW... do you meet similar issues recently? Thanks on advance for any idea or support!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Abe
Valued Contributor II

Looks like the USB blaster or download cable wasn't able to detect the FPGA and devices correctly. The error problem with JTAG chain suggests that the programmer could not verify the devices in the setup via the JTAG port. Are you using the correct port for JTAG configuration and is the MSEL settings set appropriately.

0 Kudos
Ftiglius
Beginner

Thanks, Abr! Connection should be ok, as per device ack... I can work every time with NiosII Jtag from Eclipse for long debug sessions of developing software. The problem occours when I attempt to program Flash using Sof+Elf. First 2 steps runs fine (see "buono" on report window attached..).. sfter first 2 steps programmer fails with "8" code error... but connection seems valid. Msel could involves only Fpga boot mode... not during programming....

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

Hmm, since you say its working with the NIOS2, I assume you are using the JTAG UART port. This port is different from the JTAG programming port. I suggest you look at the board for another JTAG port that is connected to the FPGA. This JTAG port may be the one for programming the FPGA.

Are you using an Intel FPGA Kit or is it a custom board? Can you share the FPGA schematics if possible so that I can check the connection of the JTAG ports?

0 Kudos
Ftiglius
Beginner

Hi abrham if you read ug_nios2_flash_programmer guide on pag 6 , you can see capabilty to program FLASH via Jtag (Passing on FPGA), this is made from SBT ECLIPSE Flash programmer.

You must load Hardware (SOF FILE), then add Nios SW (ELF FILE)

FInally, start programming flash. After first 2 succesfully steps. we have Error 8 attached messge..

We already used this feature many times on other hardware. Now with Quartus 18 probably we meet this issue.... if anyone know the question.....

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

Have you recompiled your design after upgrading to v18 of quartus? I'd suggest you recompile both the HW as well as the SW design and then try programming it. You can also try re-intstalling the Quartus Programmer tools and then try.

0 Kudos
Ftiglius
Beginner

We have 2 station with quartus 18 and all pc make same error code 8 when attempts to program flash... I think that should be an intel bug issue...

0 Kudos
Ftiglius
Beginner

After Intel traslation from Altera, we found serios degradation of documentation and support. Many links to help files are lost on Quartus. I found problems running modelsim, and I must solve them manually, by TCL modifications. I hope that INTEL will give a professional effort to FPGA questions, or we may think to different brands to plan realiable projects!

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Have you tried another version of quartus to confirm if it is an issue in quartus 18.0?

0 Kudos
Ftiglius
Beginner

I'm try on Q18.0 only.. now I'm attempt two different solutions to solve it..... I send info asap

0 Kudos