Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

Problems downloading to NIOS II / Verification fails

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello  

I am trying to interface the SD RAM on a DE0 board to a NIOS II. I have carefully followed the steps required to set up the SD RAM controller to use the IS42S16400J. Unfortunately when I try and down load my .elf file to the NIOS II processor, I get the following output in the console (briefly!): 

--- Quote Start ---  

2 [main] bash 952 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this problem to 

the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Resetting and pausing target processor: OK 

Initializing CPU cache (if present) 

OK 

Downloading 00000000 ( 0%) 

Downloading 000013D8 (99%) 

Downloaded 5KB in 1.5s (3.3KB/s) 

Verifying 00000000 ( 0%) 

Verify failed between address 0x0 and 0x13CF 

Leaving target processor paused 

--- Quote End ---  

I have searched various forums and seen that other people have had similar problems, but none of the solutions I found helped. 

I have attached some screen shots of my setup. Could someone please give some hints as to what the issue is please? 

Thanks in advance 

Andrew
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your images are too small, can you upload larger ones

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Your images are too small, can you upload larger ones 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Pavel_47 

Thank you for your reply. 

I have a link to my project https://www.dropbox.com/s/25kvh33zp6fc7s4/ehmcsys%20%282%29.zip?dl=0 if that helps. The images are screen shots fro quartus, and coocox so I can't make them any larger. 

Kind regards 

Andrew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Andrew, 

Unfortunately I couldn't properly upgrade your project to my Altera Quartus Prime 15.1. 

Nevertheless I could open .qsys file. Here it: snapshot below. BTW, I didn't understand why you couldn't make image larger - simple screenshot grabber can do this job. 

Can you compare with yours: are there differences ? 

Other observations: 

• Qsys says that alt_pll doesn't support your Cyclon V device. Why not use simple PLL module from "Basic Functions"/"PLL"/"Altera PLL" ? 

• I couldn't find wrapping top module (Verilog or VHDL) where you instantiate your qsys 

• Also pin assignment is empty ... probably caused by problems during upgrade. Can you attach snapshot with pin assignment ? 

Regards, 

Pavel 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13997
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pavel 

I have attached a zip file containing a csv for the pin assignments. I wasn't able to get a single screen shot, but I can upload several if needed. 

The device I'm using is a Cyclone III EP3C16F484C6 on a DE0 board. 

I'll compare your snapshot of you qsys filewhen I get home and let you know if I spot any differences. 

Thanks 

Andrew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hmm... 

The device that appears after project upgrading is 5CGXFC7C7F23C8, which is Cyclone V ... not Cyclone III. 

This .csv pin assignment file you exported from your project ... or it was just present in your board package. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I wasn't able to get a single screen shot, but I can upload several if needed. 

--- Quote End ---  

How did you proceed with snapshot ? What OS are you using ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is screenshot of qsys of my project (similar to yours, but made on DE-1 SoC Cyclone V), that works. 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14000
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pavel 

I did have a problem when using a newer version of Quartus (ie later than 13.1) in that it didn't support the device Im using. 

I'm using windows 10, so normally I would use the snip tool. The reason I wasn't able to do it for the pin assignments was the amount of scrren area I had, I wasn't able to get a full view of the assignments. I thought exporting a csv would be easier. I could have taken several screen shots instead, but I thought that would be more cumbersome. 

I have compared your design against mine, and all I can see which is different is that you have an irq line in the connections column. Is that because you're using a later version or Quartus? 

I've attached another view of my qsys design. It should be actual size from my screen. I can't find a way to make it bigger. 

Andrew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Andrew, 

Ok, I it seems understood your problem with screenshots: I have 4K display and whole qsys diagram is visible, whereas on ordinary displays it's impossible. 

Concerning your main problem, I think you should ask Altera for support your device with your Quartus version. 

But before can you check some basic things: warning from compiler reports, especially from TimeQuest one .... as I didn't see a constraint file (.sdc extension) in your design folder. 

At least constraint on system clock must be present. 

Regards. 

P.S. Your new screenshot still illegible
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pavel, 

I'm not sure what's going wrong with my screenshots, I suspect that they are being scaled down in the upload. 

I'll check for the constraint files, and let you know what I find. 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pavel 

I checked my project and saw that there were constrain files present. Maybe they got lost in the project upgrade on your system? 

I have sent a question to Altera about my problem so I'll let you know what response I get. 

Andrew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Andrew, 

Where .sdc file is located ? For your top module it should be in the root of your project. 

Does it contain the constraint for system clock ? 

BTW I didn't see top module (verilog or vhdl) that instantiate qsys. Where is it ? 

Anyway, if you state, that your device isn't supported by your version of Quartus, your compilation should fail, so no .sof file generated, and consequently nothing to flash. 

Hope, that you'll get answer from Altera support. 

Regards.
0 Kudos