Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Problems enabling hps2fpga & lwhps2fpga bridges

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the problem:When trying to enable either the hps2fpga or the lwhps2fpga bridge in Linux, the Linux system locks up. 

From the rocketboards example: 

Command used: "echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/hps2fpga/enable" 

*or* 

Command used: "echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/lwhps2fpga/enable" 

other useful information: 

-The FPGA is configured with a validated .rbf (and indicates in "user mode" per /sys/class/fpga/fpga0/status) 

-The fpga2hps bridge can be enabled/disabled normally. 

-The issue has appeared after we switched Linux versions and the configurator from Yocto to Buildroot 

-If the FPGA is configured with the .rbf and a reboot command issued, the bridges are up once Linux boots and our system functions normally. *unless we try to bring down the hps2fpga/lwhps2fpga bridges 

The issue in question has appeared since we switched our Linux environment. There is a high probability that we have missed a configuration setting that would be needed to properly perform this action - any suggestions on this front would be highly welcome. 

Not sure if it is helpful or not, the version from /etc/os-release indicates 2015.08-git. 

Thank you in advance for any assistance. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Another day of troubleshooting and the problem has been fixed. 

Once we re-generated the .dtb for the core system, everything started working normally again. I can't say specifically what was wrong with the previous one, but the guess is that our implementer utilized a .dtb packaged with a GHRD and did not generate it from our actual system. I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem. 

-Kosh271
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, I will ask you a couple of questions just to double check and clarify my understanding of your problem: 

Your post lets me to think you are using an example/reference design. If you are, can you specify which example are you using? 

Where you trying this by using a modified FPGA system? eg: where you using a compiled rbf of your own with modifications with respect to the GHRD? 

After you re-generated your dtb, did you have to re-compile any parts of your software? FSBL, kernel? 

Many thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! have you got a solution? Thanks. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Another day of troubleshooting and the problem has been fixed. 

Once we re-generated the .dtb for the core system, everything started working normally again. I can't say specifically what was wrong with the previous one, but the guess is that our implementer utilized a .dtb packaged with a GHRD and did not generate it from our actual system. I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem. 

-Kosh271 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos