Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

Problems enabling hps2fpga & lwhps2fpga bridges

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

the problem:When trying to enable either the hps2fpga or the lwhps2fpga bridge in Linux, the Linux system locks up. 

From the rocketboards example: 

Command used: "echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/hps2fpga/enable" 

*or* 

Command used: "echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/lwhps2fpga/enable" 

other useful information: 

-The FPGA is configured with a validated .rbf (and indicates in "user mode" per /sys/class/fpga/fpga0/status) 

-The fpga2hps bridge can be enabled/disabled normally. 

-The issue has appeared after we switched Linux versions and the configurator from Yocto to Buildroot 

-If the FPGA is configured with the .rbf and a reboot command issued, the bridges are up once Linux boots and our system functions normally. *unless we try to bring down the hps2fpga/lwhps2fpga bridges 

The issue in question has appeared since we switched our Linux environment. There is a high probability that we have missed a configuration setting that would be needed to properly perform this action - any suggestions on this front would be highly welcome. 

Not sure if it is helpful or not, the version from /etc/os-release indicates 2015.08-git. 

Thank you in advance for any assistance. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Another day of troubleshooting and the problem has been fixed. 

Once we re-generated the .dtb for the core system, everything started working normally again. I can't say specifically what was wrong with the previous one, but the guess is that our implementer utilized a .dtb packaged with a GHRD and did not generate it from our actual system. I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem. 

-Kosh271
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi there, I will ask you a couple of questions just to double check and clarify my understanding of your problem: 

Your post lets me to think you are using an example/reference design. If you are, can you specify which example are you using? 

Where you trying this by using a modified FPGA system? eg: where you using a compiled rbf of your own with modifications with respect to the GHRD? 

After you re-generated your dtb, did you have to re-compile any parts of your software? FSBL, kernel? 

Many thanks in advance!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi! have you got a solution? Thanks. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Another day of troubleshooting and the problem has been fixed. 

Once we re-generated the .dtb for the core system, everything started working normally again. I can't say specifically what was wrong with the previous one, but the guess is that our implementer utilized a .dtb packaged with a GHRD and did not generate it from our actual system. I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem. 

-Kosh271 

--- Quote End ---