Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Problems with Cyclone IV and DP83848C

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, I've made my own board of Cyclone IV EP4CGX110CF23C7. And i want to make a ethernet module with DP83848C which is surpported by the TSE core.  

However, when i have completed my SOPC system and downloaded the nios program, it seems that something wrong happened to my program and i am confused  

by this problem for several days. When i run my project as NIOSII hardware on NIOS SBT v12.1, the nios ii console displays as following: 

interniche portable tcp/ip, v3.1  

copyright 1996-2008 by interniche technologies. all rights reserved.  

prep_tse_mac 0 

your ethernet mac address is 00:16:36:fc:14:2d 

static ip address is 192.168.1.234 

prepped 1 interface, initializing... 

netinit: calloc failed getting buffer 17 

inet startup error: unable to initialize net 

panic: ip 

dtrap - needs breakpoint 

ip_exit: calling func 0x9e7a4 

Here are some attachments of my program.  

PS: 1. I turned off the DHCP and set the board IP address 192.168.1.234. 

2. I created the program from the template Simple Socket Server.  

3. There is no NAND flash on my board and i set my board MAC address 00:16:36:fc:14:2d
0 Kudos
27 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From the calloc error message, it looks like you don't have enough memory for the embedded system. You can try and reduce the number of buffers in ipport.h, increase the size of your onchip_mem, or connect the Nios CPU to an external RAM (if you have one on board).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

From the calloc error message, it looks like you don't have enough memory for the embedded system. You can try and reduce the number of buffers in ipport.h, increase the size of your onchip_mem, or connect the Nios CPU to an external RAM (if you have one on board). 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks a lot. I followed your advise and the result seems to be better. 

But when i ping the board with cmd or telnet, there seems to be no connection. The following shows the Nios II Console content: 

interniche portable tcp/ip, v3.1  

copyright 1996-2008 by interniche technologies. all rights reserved.  

prep_tse_mac 0 

your ethernet mac address is 00:16:36:fc:14:2d 

static ip address is 192.168.1.234 

prepped 1 interface, initializing... 

[tse_mac_init] 

info : tse mac 0 found at address 0x00203000 

info : phy national dp83848c found at phy address 0x1f of mac group[0] 

info : phy[0.0] - automatically mapped to tse_mac_device[0] 

info : phy[0.0] - restart auto-negotiation, checking phy link... 

info : phy[0.0] - auto-negotiation passed 

info : phy[0.0] - restart auto-negotiation, checking phy link... 

info : phy[0.0] - auto-negotiation passed 

info : phy[0.0] - checking link... 

info : phy[0.0] - link established 

info : phy[0.0] - speed = 100, duplex = full 

ok, x=0, cmd_config=0x01000000 

mac post-initialization: cmd_config=0x05000203 

[tse_sgdma_read_init] rx descriptor chain desc (1 depth) created 

mctest init called 

ip address of et1 : 192.168.1.234 

created "inet main" task (prio: 2) 

created "clock tick" task (prio: 3) 

simple socket server starting up 

[sss_task] simple socket server listening on port 30 

created "simple socket server" task (prio: 4)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong from the terminal output. I suggest that you use a network sniffer (such as Wireshark) on the PC you are using to connect to the board, and signaltap on the FPGA to check if anything is coming in or out on the interface with the PHY chip.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've tried the Wireshark to grab the packets but i failed. It seems no connection between the PC and the FPGA. The attachment is the output of the Wireshark.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From the terminal output is seems that the set IP address is 192.168.1.234, but you are trying to ping 192.168.0.202

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No,no,no....I've just changed my ip address to 192.168.0.202 but no changed the terminal result to this thread.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Okay. Your board isn't even answering the first ARP request, so you need to use signaltap to figure out if the ARP request gets on the PHY's rx interface, and if your system answers on the PHY's tx interface.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how did you connect the computer and the FPGA board? if you directly connected them by only one ethernet cable that maybe the problem. You may use a switch.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Okay. Your board isn't even answering the first ARP request, so you need to use signaltap to figure out if the ARP request gets on the PHY's rx interface, and if your system answers on the PHY's tx interface. 

--- Quote End ---  

Uhm..But can you introduce it more detailedly ? I'm a beginner in the field of network and i cannot recognize how the ARP request transmitted to the board. 

Or may i have your email or msn/QQ in order to contact you conveniently. 

The following is the signaltap screen shot when ping the board.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

how did you connect the computer and the FPGA board? if you directly connected them by only one ethernet cable that maybe the problem. You may use a switch. 

--- Quote End ---  

I've tried to use a 10/100Mb switch but there is still no connect between the board and the host pc
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

The last attachment is somewhere wrong.Here is the correct one.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Uhm..But can you introduce it more detailedly ? I'm a beginner in the field of network and i cannot recognize how the ARP request transmitted to the board. 

Or may i have your email or msn/QQ in order to contact you conveniently. 

The following is the signaltap screen shot when ping the board. 

--- Quote End ---  

it is not related to the FPGA. I just asked what is your network topology.  

A) computer <====ethernet cable===> FPGA board  

B) computer <====ethernet cable===> network switch <====ethernet cable====> FPGA board 

which one you used?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I've tried to use a 10/100Mb switch but there is still no connect between the board and the host pc 

--- Quote End ---  

OK got you. could you upload your network related connection from you FPGA top-level code?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

OK got you. could you upload your network related connection from you FPGA top-level code? 

--- Quote End ---  

Here is my project file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In your signaltap project, you need to add the enet_rx_en signal (or maybe it's called enet_rx_dv). Then set a trigger to a rising edge or that new signal and see if it picks up anything. You can also regroup enet_rx[0] to enet_rx[3] so that you will directly see the hex digit.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please do you have any results in your troubleshooting the DP83848C PHY connection? I am having the exact same problem and I can see the data packets on RX[3..0] lines, also the RXDV signal is OK. What I can not see is any response on the TX[3..0] lines or TXEN. TXCLK, RXCLK are fine also. The link status is also OK, I have the very same console output as you on the top of this thread.  

Have you solved your issue? Do you have any recommendations what to try,.. or?  

Thank you very much for the reply... 

Jan.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you get on the other side of the TSE core? Does it detect the received packet and put it on its avalon stream rx interface?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have solved the issue by using another nios core(nios.sopc file) from my classmate. But i still don't know what causes it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What do you get on the other side of the TSE core? Does it detect the received packet and put it on its avalon stream rx interface? 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for the reply. Could you please describe how to check the avalon stream interface?... I have classic TSE connection with the SGDMA_RX and the receive port of the TSE is going to SGDMA.RXIN port.  

Thanks for the reply...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I have tried to use signal tap to catch the physical pins and the ff_rx_data of the TSE.. I am not sure if this is correct.. But I can see that ff_rx_data is not changing. Please find the attached file: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7792
0 Kudos