Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Problems with on-chip memory

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I have used pervios Nios version - NiosI. There I have created project, which includes On-Chip memory. The property window of On-Chip memory contained two pages: Attributes and Simulation. On Simulation page I checked item Build and entered the name of file (*.mif) and on page Attributes I checked ROM. After successful generation I compiled project and then performed simulation. Everything was Ok. 

When I installed last version NIOS II and attempted to create the same version I confronted with following problem: the property window had only one property page - Attributes. And I don't know how to load *.mif (or *.srec) file into On-Chip memory. I tried to use Flash Memory , but I couldn't simulate this system. 

Please, tell me, how to load mif files into On-Chip memory.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's right. Now you use the IDE to create the initiallization file. I think it creates it automatically for you in the folder (same file name as the name of the memory itself). If you are trying to do quick testings, you can create a single large RAM, include some debug capabilities, and download you're code to the board using the IDE (it's a nicer version of the germs monitor kinda).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If the IDE approach isn't your preference, you can still use the legacy on-chip memory which has the contents tab you 

are used to. The memory is located in SOPC Builder under Avalon Modules -> Legacy Components -> Legacy On-chip Memory.
0 Kudos