Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Programming .jic to S25FL128S FLASH with Cyclone 10 LP device

BSui
Beginner

At first, there was no problem when I downloaded my .jic file to S25FL128S. However, after operating the Flash through "Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel FPGA IP Core" (including writing and reading memory, sector erase, sector protect and so on), I can not program the Flash any more.

The screenshot of the Quartus Prime 18.0 programmer and the messages are shown below. FYI. Pls help!

pic1.jpgpic2.jpg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_x_h_75
New Contributor III

I very much doubt (I don't know this to be the case) that the programmer will write to protected sectors. If, as you suggest, you've played with the sector protection then I suggest, in the first instance, you remove this. Load the FPGA via JTAG and unlock it. Then retry.

Cheers,

Alex

0 Kudos
BSui
Beginner

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply. It's true that the Quartus programmer will fail to erase if the Serial Flash is being protected, and I've tried to unprotect the entire Flash, however it still did not work. I wonder if this is related with some special characteristics of S25FL128S.

Thanks,

Leo

0 Kudos
a_x_h_75
New Contributor III

I very much doubt there are any 'special characteristics' of that device. I'm pretty confident I'll have used exactly that part before without issue.

Can you read/write to any part of the device from your FPGA? Is it damaged? You suggest it has previously worked as expected...

Cheers,

Alex

0 Kudos
BSui
Beginner

Hi Alex,

Thanks for you reply.

I checked the issue with another FPGA board.

1. At first, the jic file can be programmed into the S25FL128S.

2. Then, I execute sector protect operation on S25FL128S with "Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel FPGA IP Core".

3. Then, I failed to program the jic file into S25FL128S, which is expected due to the sector protect operation in step 2.

4. I unprotect the S25FL128S with "Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel FPGA IP Core".

5. Still, no way to download the jic into S25FL128S.

I doubt if some register bits of S25FL128S is locked to prevent the programming operation after step3. Do you have any clue?

Thx so much!

Leo

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Bsui,

Did you try other Quartus programmer such as v18.1 to erase the  S25FL128S? In the Quartus Prime v18.1, you should be able to generate the .jic file specifically for  S25FL128 device and not EPCS128.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
BSui
Beginner

Hi Nooraini,

Thanks for you reply.

I tried Quartus programmer v18.1 to generate a jic file specifically for S25FL128, still failed.

I checked the issue with another FPGA board.

1. At first, the jic file can be programmed into the S25FL128S.

2. Then, I execute sector protect operation on S25FL128S with "Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel FPGA IP Core".

3. Then, I failed to program the jic file into S25FL128S, which is expected due to the sector protect operation in step 2.

4. I unprotect the S25FL128S with "Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel FPGA IP Core".

5. Still, no way to download the jic into S25FL128S.

I doubt if some register bits of S25FL128S is locked to prevent the programming operation after step3. Do you have any clue?

Thx so much!

Leo

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Leo,

Did you try to turn on the "Unprotect EPCS/EPCQ devices selected for the erase/program operation" before programming the .jic file? Refer to the screen shot. Try to turn on this programmer option and then click.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos