Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

QSys doesn't properly create all output files during generation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm working with QSys (Quartus II, V13.0) on a NIOS II based design imported from SOPC builder. If I generate the output files for Quartus, not all required files seem to be properly build. (Simulation model: None, Testbench System: None, Synthesis: VHDL) 1. The system.h is missing (is there an option to turn it on and off?) 2. I have implemented my own QSys component (consisting of a hw.tcl and a .vhdl file) and I have added this component to my system. I can see that during generation, the vhdl file of my component is created in the Microcontroller/synthesis/submodules directory, but its size 0 bytes. Of course, Quartus complains about a missing implementation of my unit when trying to compile afterwards. If I copy the file manually after generation (that means that I replace the defective file by the original one) the compilation in Quartus works. Interestingly, this seems to happen only to QSys components that I have implemented myself. All other files that belong to the QSys output are ok. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I have also seen this happen. Sometimes file size seems to be 0. This happened to me during development of my custom qsys component. You can solve this by deleting all the content of the synthesis/submodules directory and run qsys generate again. Or just by deleting the 0 sized files only and then regenerate. That solved issues in my case. With respect to the missing system.h... did you refresh your bsp? regards

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, I have also seen this happen. Sometimes file size seems to be 0. This happened to me during development of my custom qsys component. You can solve this by deleting all the content of the synthesis/submodules directory and run qsys generate again. Or just by deleting the 0 sized files only and then regenerate. That solved issues in my case. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, thanks for the reply, but unfortuately, deleting the directory and rebuilding doesn't change anything. I just found out something new by myself: Originally, I had the project located on a FAT32 partition. If I copy it to a ntfs partition and start the generation there, the problem seems to diappear... Very strange but seems to be true.  

--- Quote Start ---  

With respect to the missing system.h... did you refresh your bsp? regards 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry for asking - but what is a bsp and how can I refresh it? Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, that is indeed really strange. Maybe you should post a support request to Altera and tell them about his buggy behavour. I also found some other bugs related to the release 13 of the Nios tools and informed Altera about that. 

With the bsp I mean the board support package which you need when building software for your Nios project. That one contains the system.h file when you generate the bsp. 

Hope this info helps you further! 

regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, I found that there seems to be a separate tool chain that is for creating board support packages. I succeeded in importing my sopcinfo file into the BSP editor and in generating the C build environment. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, I have also seen this happen. Sometimes file size seems to be 0. This happened to me during development of my custom qsys component. You can solve this by deleting all the content of the synthesis/submodules directory and run qsys generate again. Or just by deleting the 0 sized files only and then regenerate. That solved issues in my case. With respect to the missing system.h... did you refresh your bsp? regards 

--- Quote End ---  

I was having the same issue and this worked for me. The one thing I would add is that I had to exit Qsys, delete the files, then re-open QSYS, open my qsys file and re-generate. If I didn't close out of QSYS, it didn't seem to work. Thanks!
0 Kudos