Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Qsys error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI , 

I tried to compile the DE2_115_Media_Computer example that targets DE2-115 board , while compiling Qsys files i am intimated about these errors : 

Error: System.External_Clocks.avalon_clocks_slave: Interface must have an associated reset 

I am attaching the screen shots of the Qsys file i.e "nios_system.qsys" , i would highly appreciate if any expert on nios ii can help me resolve this error or guide me where to read about this . 

Thanks in advance , 

Regards , 

FPGA_guru011
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think it is fairly explanatory really. 

To elaborate: "There is an 'Error' which is caused because in the system 'System' there is a component 'External_Clocks" which has an interface called 'avalon_clocks_slave' which is required to have an associated reset signal". 

So find the component named External_Clocks, which seems to be something you have made (is that correct?). On that component there is the interface mentioned. That is of type Avalon-MM Slave. As per the spec, Avalon-MM interfaces need a reset signal, but you haven't got one. So you need to add a reset signal and associate it with the Avalon-MM slave.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By the way, which Quartus II version are you using? I remember seeing similar reset related error when upgrade from 13.1 to 14.0 in my other designs. The issue is later fixed in newer Quartus II version. Probably you can try with different Quartus II versions.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is this design migrate from another version? or recreate manually in your own quartus 2 version.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am using Quartus II ver 13.0 sp1

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks i will follow your instructions and recompile

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I think it is fairly explanatory really. 

To elaborate: "There is an 'Error' which is caused because in the system 'System' there is a component 'External_Clocks" which has an interface called 'avalon_clocks_slave' which is required to have an associated reset signal". 

So find the component named External_Clocks, which seems to be something you have made (is that correct?). On that component there is the interface mentioned. That is of type Avalon-MM Slave. As per the spec, Avalon-MM interfaces need a reset signal, but you haven't got one. So you need to add a reset signal and associate it with the Avalon-MM slave. 

--- Quote End ---  

This component was already there , i didnt made it , when open the qsys file it shows me the following signals on External_Clocks : 

clk_in_primary 

sys_clk 

avalon_clocks_slave 

sdram_clk 

clk_in_secondary 

audio_clk 

vga_clk  

There is no reset signal , i can create one as it being pulled from a ready made cores ????
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to add  

clk_in_primary <-- input from clk 

sys_clk <-- clock output 

avalon_clocks_slave <-- input from data_master 

sdram_clk <-- not connected  

clk_in_secondary <-- input from clk_27 

audio_clk <-- not connected 

vga_clk <-- output going to VGA controller and VGA_Dual_Clock_Fifo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11215  

I am not that familiar with the External_Clocks module that is instantiated in the Qsys system. I don't think they come with Qsys library but rather that comes together with the DE Quartus project. You need to find the hw.tcl file in your local directory. Try to find the avalon_clock_slave and set the proper reset association. Something like: 

set_interface_property avalon_clock_slave "associatedReset" "reset" 

The "reset" is replaceable by the reset interface being declared in the hw.tcl.
0 Kudos