Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Qsys reset bus and its warnings

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello guys, 

I am experiencing an interesting problem, where the Nios CPU, that has been working on Quartus 12.1 now resynthesized on Quartus 13.0sp1 doesn't work. I've also made a QSYS system regeneration using new components, that came with the new Quartus version. 

I am starting Nios from on-chip memory, which has initialization hex already assigned. The vectors are set up correctly, everything shows into on-chip memory as it was before in Q12.1. I don't have any ideas what could be wrong, but now, when generating QSYS system, I get hundreds of these warnings: 

Warning (12251): Qsys_system: "No matching role found for rst_controller:reset_out:reset_req (reset_req)"  

nios2-download says, that the system is not running, so probably Nios stays in reset. 

I've double checked the reset signal also tried manually set the reset_n to '1', but the situation is the same. 

There are no timing problems shown in TimeQuest analyzer, so I am pretty sure, that I am not experiencing system bus stalls. 

Maybe someone could point me out what I am missing? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

You are not alone! 

I am having this exact problem with my qsys component (not using NIOS). I ported my design from 12.1 to 13 and 13sp1. I also regenerated the qsys with the 13.1 components and I also get hundreds of warnings when generating: 

No matching role found for rst_controller:reset_out:reset_req (reset_req)The closest I have come to an answer is from: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/spr371633.html 

Where is states that these warnings can be ignored, however I am not convinced that can be ignored and that its not having a detremental effect on my image! I dont know if its a bug with porting a system or what but it seems to only have appeared due to upgrading Quartus.  

I hope we can get some help with this issue! 

Regards 

James
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Seems like You can ignore it. I did and the design works. The problem of non-working design was elsewhere. 

Altera on-chip memory parameter GUI has a bug, where the bath to the HEX file is processed incorrectly, that's why You have to set the relative, not absolute path.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I seem to be having a problem identical to the one described here. My Nios system which runs from internal RAM isn't starting on power-up. This was working fine until I switched to 13.0sp1. 

In my case it appears that the hex file was properly loaded into the internal RAM. I can connect the debugger to the Nios processor and start it without loading anything. The processor is simply failing to start on power-up. 

Any ideas?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem in 13.1. if I checked the "reset the system" in "run config" tab, the niosII program will not run. as the same reason, when I programmed the sof and elf to the EPCS, the NiosII don't run.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

where is the surpporter of altera? 

can you tell me how to resolve the problem?