Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Qsys with up to 8 GB of DDR2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Im developing an application that requires more than 1G DDR2 memory, but I cant use it direct on Qsys because Avalon address is restricted to n^31. I'm developing on Stratix IV FPGA (Terasic DE4). 

I would like to know with any of you have already face this problem and how can I handle this on the best way. 

Best regards, 

Rafael C.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Although I haven't done this on the Stratix 4 board yet (haven't needed that much memory yet), you can use the AXI bus in QSYS and get up to a 64 bit address space. 

I have used AXI with the Cyclone V SOC kit, and with the Xilinx Zync platform, and it's a powerful bus interface. The Problem is this doesn't seem to be supported by NIOS II yet. (Only 32 bit CPU, so it's tough to address > 4 GB) 

The best solution I guess is dependent on your real requirements. If you need it for code space you can do blocks of memory, but it's a pain to manage. If you need it for physical data space for the rest of the hardware, you can create a custome interface, that gives avalon access to 2GB, and the hardware the the rest of your FPGA hardware the rest. 

Pete