Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Quartus Lite GLibC error

tomalogix
Beginner

I just downloaded and installed Quartus Prime Lite Edition on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.  Just about every button I press gives me the error "XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libmozsandbox.so:
/home/tom/intelFPGA_lite/21.1/quartus/linux64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox/libmozsandbox.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM."

Any pointers on how to fix?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @tomalogix 

Have you try to install  libc6:i386, libncurses6:i386, libxtst6:i386, libxft2:i386, libstdc++6:i386, libc6-dev-i386, lib32z1, lib32ncurses5, libbz2-1.0:i386, and libpng12 libraries? As mentioned in the User Guide Table 1. Prerequisites for all Intel FPGA Software below:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/quartus_install.pdf

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
DrGreg
Beginner

I am also experiencing this error on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS.

I installed all of the stated prerequisites via this script:

#!/bin/bash
set -x

sudo apt install libc6:i386 libncurses6:i386 libxtst6:i386 libxft2:i386 \
                 libstdc++6:i386 libc6-dev-i386 lib32z1 libncurses5:i386 \
                 libbz2-1.0:i386 
                 # libpng12

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linuxuprising/libpng12
# sudo apt update # (now performed automatically by add-apt-repository)
sudo apt install libpng12-0

but I still get the error when I launch quartus and click on any of the buttons:

$ quartus
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libmozsandbox.so:
/home/user/intelFPGA_lite/21.1/quartus/linux64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox/libmozsandbox.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
0 Kudos
DrGreg
Beginner

I found an explanation and a solution.

Explanation:  

This occurs because Quartus-Lite package includes copies the libstdc++ shared libraries which are older than those provided by the system.

Solution: Ensure that `quartus` uses the system-provided libraries.

Option 1:  (Preferred) Use `LD_PRELOAD` to ensure the proper libstdc++ shared library is loaded.  Add the `LD_PRELOAD` line (or equivalent) to your shell startup file (e.g. `~/.bashrc`):

# Intel Quartus and friends 
export QSYS_ROOTDIR="/home/warnes/intelFPGA_lite/21.1/quartus/sopc_builder/bin"
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/intelFPGA_lite/21.1/nios2eds/bin:$HOME/intelFPGA_lite/21.1/questa_fse/bin:$HOME/intelFPGA_lite/21.1/quartus/bin
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 

(I also included the QSYS_ROOTDIR line added by the installer, and adding the quartus tool binaries the path.)

Option 2: (Hack) Rename all of the shared libraries within the install directory to prevent `quartus` from finding them.

cd ~/intelFPGA_lite
find . -name "libstdc++.so*" -print -exec mv \{\} \{\}.orig \;

I tested both on Ubuntu 21.04.3.

0 Kudos