Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

Quartus Prime Lite Edition no display (blank screen)

AThap3
Beginner

Hi, I installed quartus prime lite edition on ubuntu 18.04 and it seems like installation was successful and quartus runs, but there is no display. If I point to left hand corner of the screen with my mouse and left click, I see what appears like an empty drop down menu. Then I click on where "New.." option would have been I get an empty pop up menu title "New". So I think its a display issue and (maybe) not an installation issue.

I am new to Ubuntu (and linux) have no idea what I am doing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, I can only run quartus with the command "sudo ./quartus". "quartus" alone does not work.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Which version of quartus are you using?

Quartus 18.1 is supported in Ubuntu 18.0. Check the display setting & memory requirements.

if you face same issue try to reinstall the latest quartus version.

First we can check the requirement for Quartus from below link.

http://fpgasoftware.intel.com/requirements/18.1/

Try to update the Ubuntu and download other build essentials.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt install build-essential

To install Quartus using commands like or refer below links

tar -xvf Quartus-xx.xx.tar

chmod +z setup.sh

./setup.sh

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/quartus_install.pdf

To launch the Quartus.

To to the installation directory

example:/intelFPGA_lite/18.1/quartus/bin/ and run

./quartus

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

AThap3
Beginner

Hello Anand,

I uninstalled and reinstalled Ubuntu 18.04 and reinstalled Quartus just as you have described. I still got an error and I initially got an error that file "libpng12.so.0 cannot open shared object file" so I downloaded and installed this package and then upon entering command ./quartus (not 'quartus') I am able to run quartus and it looks like it should.

However on the terminal I do get "failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module" and some other notifications ... but I guess I don't need to bother about this because quartus appears to be running.