Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Quartus fitter taking 2+ hours for NIOS design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

I am attempting to setup a NIOS on a Cyclone V SOC and my compilation times are right around 2 hours total. The fitter gets stuck at 35% for most of this time. 

The interesting thing is when I compile on my home machine, I am able to finish in 2 minutes. On my corporate machine, 2 hours... 

I originally thought it was an issue with Quartus 14.1 so I installed 15.0. Same issue.  

Any ideas what is going on?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What's the specs on the different machines? 

It could be you are swapping on your work machine because it doesn't have enough memory.  

I would also delete the db and incremental_db directories and try again. I've had problems in the past where it's fighting something based on an old incremental design. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What's the specs on the different machines? 

It could be you are swapping on your work machine because it doesn't have enough memory.  

I would also delete the db and incremental_db directories and try again. I've had problems in the past where it's fighting something based on an old incremental design. 

Pete 

--- Quote End ---  

I ended up finding out that windows was running two instances of Quartus even though only one was open and available to me. I found this in the task managers process list. Once I killed all processes and re-opened Quartus, I built with no problems.  

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I ended up finding out that windows was running two instances of Quartus even though only one was open and available to me. I found this in the task managers process list. Once I killed all processes and re-opened Quartus, I built with no problems.  

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for posting your solution. (And the root cause)..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks for posting your solution. (And the root cause).. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks again, 

PS. Hello from Pullman, Washington :cool:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Lol are you going to be at the arrow DECA seminar on June 17th in Spokane? If so look for me.. (and give Dave Smith hell.) 

http://www.arrow.com/campaigns-na/altera/deca/ 

For $99 It's a cheap dev board if nothing else. :) 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

I did come across similar experience especially when I have opened a few Quartus instances in my PC. It seems like sometime even though I have close the Quartus but it still running and occupying my CPU usage at the background. Normally I will restart PC or kill the process in Task Manager process.
0 Kudos