Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Question regarding relationship between ALTGX channel width and effective data rate

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've been encountering some issues that I believe are related to how I configured the transceiver cores on my Stratix IV via ALTGX. For details sake, I'm using Terasic's TR4 development board with the Stratix IV EP4SGX230KF40C2 FPGA. 

My goal is to transmit a bit stream via the FPGA's onboard transceivers - which can be thought of as generating a PWM signal. I need to do this at 6250.0 Mbps while using a clock frequency of 312.5 MHz or 156.25 MHz.  

I've configured ALTGX as follows: 

Protocol: Basic 

Subprotocol: X4 

Operation Mode: Transmitter Only 

Number of Channels: 4 (The channels receive independent bit streams) 

Deserializer Block Width: Double 

Channel Width: 40 bits 

Base Setting: Data Rate 

Effective Data Rate: 6250.0 Mbps 

Input Clock Frequency: 312.5 MHz 

Base Data Rate: 6250.0 Mbps 

While I can transmit the waveforms, there seems to be an intermittent problem. To explain, I can generate a test waveform that produces a 50-50 PWM signal. This waveform is then manipulated in logic in such a way that modifies the high and low times of the signal so that my original 50-50 PWM signal is transformed into a 60-40 PWM signal. The problem is that this works some of the time. That is the manipulation appears to be applied to only a portion of the signal in a periodic manner: 50 High, 50 Low, 50 High, 50 Low, 60 High, 40 Low, 50 high, 50 Low, ...  

I used Signal Tap to watch the data flow through the logic that modifies the waveform and it seems to manipulate the signal correctly. For this reason, I believe that the problem lies in transferring the data and may be due to how I'm loading the data into the transceivers.  

The logic that manipulates the waveforms/bit streams runs at 312.5 MHz and operates on 40-bit chunks of data. The 40-bits is then fed into the transceivers via its tx_datain port. The pll_inclk of the transceiver core generated by megawizard is connected to a 312.5 MHz PLL clock signal. The cal_blk_clk is connected to a 78.125 MHz clock. tx_coreclk is fed by coreclkout (it loops back around), and tx_clkout is left dangling. I think that I may be writing data to tx_datain quicker than it is being pulled into the transceiver resulting in this behavior I'm observing. According to megawizard, I can achieve this same data rate (6250 Mbps) with a channel width of 40 at an input clock frequency of 156.25 Mhz (or 125, 250 MHz, etc). I read through the datasheets, but I must be missing something. What is the relationship between the channel width, effective data rate, and the input clock frequency? For my application, I need to transmit all 40 bits that I'm writing to tx_datain and they need to be transmitted at a data rate of 6250 Mbps. This data is currently being refreshed at a frequency of 312.5 MHz. Should I actually be refreshing that data at a frequency of 156.25 MHz? 

Any insight is appreciated.
0 Kudos
0 Replies