Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12454 Discussions

Question: yocto boot loader vs boot loader from altera bsp-edtori

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

Any advantages of making use of the u-boot from bsp-editor vs the one from yocto own build? when i read the diagram from rocketboard. for Cyclone V , it showed the -uboot with yocto build. but i remember we still can build from the embedded shell. right? 

See this. 

http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/avcvgsrd150 

From User 12345
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would say best part is I can do more customization with yocto0boot version.. incase for new comer, the predesigned u-boot from bsp-editor is a entry choice...~

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

for me i rather go for yocto as more level of customization than the pre-build version. and most up to date example design are come with custom modification.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Both should works. Some might choose U-Boot from bsp-editor as it was available when building Preloader.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, i read some article some said uboot from yocto sometime may exceed the limit 256k, is that true?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there are a lot of additional option you can configure with the yocto uboot, where it is more hassle free when you use the one from bsp-editor as s starter. I believe it is sufficient for normal user .