Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

RESET THE NIOS PROCESS USING reset_n INPUT

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, i made a custom component in Qsys.  

This component has a reset input signal (conduit export) and a reset output signal (Reset Output interface).  

The reset output signal is connected to the nios_cpu reset_n input all inside the Qsys system. 

When the FPGA start with on-chip memory initialized all works fine but when i drive low the reset input pin of my component that drive low the reset_n pin of the nios, the nios stop and not reset it-self. 

I tried different pulse width but nothing works. 

I don't know if there is some parameters to set in the Reset Output interface of my component to properly reset the nios. 

I would like to keep the nios in reset state for an arbitrary time.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to assert the 'reset_n' signal for a significant period - I think it is sampled once per instruction. 

The 'reset out' signal is driver for a single clock (or two?) each time the processor detects 'reset_n'. 

While 'reset_n' is asserted, the processer starts coming out of reset, reads the first instruction word, then resets itself again before executing it.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i tried different period for keeping low the reset_n input but when i release this input the nios is always blocked. i think that i will use the cpu_resetrequest and cpu_resettaken IO available in the nios_cpu component.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ah - those are the signals I was thinking about!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi , I am facing the same problem . I am new user to Nios , so can anyone please explain how to solve this issue ? 

I have a Qsys system with Nios CPU , ON-chip ram and few PIOs . I initialize the on-chip RAM with a .hex file and create the .pof file. 

Once I burn the .pof inside the FPGA, on-chip RAM gets initialized and the Nios starts running as expected.  

But when the device is running , if I give a manual reset to the Qsys system with an external switch , the processor goes into a reset state and it stays in reset state even after i de-assert the reset switch.  

Also, when a power on reset sequence occurs, the processor will execute code correctly. It only mis-behaves when the reset occurs from an external switch input. 

Both the reset vector and exception vector of the Nios Processor is in the On-Chip RAM
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi , I am facing the same problem . I am new user to Nios , so can anyone please explain how to solve this issue ? 

I have a Qsys system with Nios CPU , ON-chip ram and few PIOs . I initialize the on-chip RAM with a .hex file and create the .pof file. 

Once I burn the .pof inside the FPGA, on-chip RAM gets initialized and the Nios starts running as expected.  

But when the device is running , if I give a manual reset to the Qsys system with an external switch , the processor goes into a reset state and it stays in reset state even after i de-assert the reset switch.  

Also, when a power on reset sequence occurs, the processor will execute code correctly. It only mis-behaves when the reset occurs from an external switch input. 

Both the reset vector and exception vector of the Nios Processor is in the On-Chip RAM 

--- Quote End ---  

Have you implemented a debounce logic/circuit for the switch? 

Have you managed the cpu_resetrequest and cpu_resettaken IO available in the nios_cpu component?