Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Read data through USB blaster

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have this custom board that has no JTAG connector (set up for Active Serial with an EPCS4 flash). I can load a NIOS2 on it using tricks learned in this forum and I can flash LEDs on board. Is there a way to send data back and forth for debugging (like on the JTAG UART) using SPI on the USB Blaster? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have this custom board that has no JTAG connector (set up for Active Serial with an EPCS4 flash). I can load a NIOS2 on it using tricks learned in this forum and I can flash LEDs on board. Is there a way to send data back and forth for debugging (like on the JTAG UART) using SPI on the USB Blaster? 

--- Quote End ---  

You just commented that you have no JTAG connector, so what use it the USB-Blaster, as you have no way to connect it? 

If you're just asking whether you can "re-task" your USB-Blaster as an SPI GPIO, then yes, you can do that. Its not "officially" supported, but the FTDI drivers allow you to access a USB-Blaster, and so long as you send it USB-Blaster protocol packets, you can use it for whatever I/O you like. You do need to power the VCC pin on the 10-pin header (since that powers the buffer inside the USB-Blaster). The USB-Blaster protocol is documented here: 

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/urjtag/index.php?title=cable_altera_usb-blaster 

Its actually less of a hassle to just use an FTDI C232HM/HD cable in MPSSE mode ... they're $26 ... 

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c232hm-ddhsl-0/768-1106-nd/2714139 

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c232hd-ddhsp-0/768-1011-nd/2767783 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok, I should have been more clear. I do have a 10pin connector on the board, but the JTAG lines to the FPGA (TCK, TMS, etc) are grounded. I program in active serial mode. But then I have no way of sending data back and forth. Hence my thought to repurpose the blaster as a generic SPI IO. Seems like is doable based on what you said, so I guess there is some reading in my future.  

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

ok, I should have been more clear. I do have a 10pin connector on the board, but the JTAG lines to the FPGA (TCK, TMS, etc) are grounded. I program in active serial mode. But then I have no way of sending data back and forth. Hence my thought to repurpose the blaster as a generic SPI IO. Seems like is doable based on what you said, so I guess there is some reading in my future.  

--- Quote End ---  

The problem you will have is that the Active Serial signals on the 10-pin header are connected to the EPCS configuration EEPROM. You will not be able to "re-purpose" chip-select, since it is already in use by the EPCS device. 

If you have other FPGA pins connected to a 100-mil header, then I would recommend using those pins. You can still use the USB-Blaster, but you will avoid possible conflicts with the AS interface. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos