Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Read data through USB blaster

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have this custom board that has no JTAG connector (set up for Active Serial with an EPCS4 flash). I can load a NIOS2 on it using tricks learned in this forum and I can flash LEDs on board. Is there a way to send data back and forth for debugging (like on the JTAG UART) using SPI on the USB Blaster? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have this custom board that has no JTAG connector (set up for Active Serial with an EPCS4 flash). I can load a NIOS2 on it using tricks learned in this forum and I can flash LEDs on board. Is there a way to send data back and forth for debugging (like on the JTAG UART) using SPI on the USB Blaster? 

--- Quote End ---  

You just commented that you have no JTAG connector, so what use it the USB-Blaster, as you have no way to connect it? 

If you're just asking whether you can "re-task" your USB-Blaster as an SPI GPIO, then yes, you can do that. Its not "officially" supported, but the FTDI drivers allow you to access a USB-Blaster, and so long as you send it USB-Blaster protocol packets, you can use it for whatever I/O you like. You do need to power the VCC pin on the 10-pin header (since that powers the buffer inside the USB-Blaster). The USB-Blaster protocol is documented here: 

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/urjtag/index.php?title=cable_altera_usb-blaster 

Its actually less of a hassle to just use an FTDI C232HM/HD cable in MPSSE mode ... they're $26 ... 

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c232hm-ddhsl-0/768-1106-nd/2714139 

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c232hd-ddhsp-0/768-1011-nd/2767783 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok, I should have been more clear. I do have a 10pin connector on the board, but the JTAG lines to the FPGA (TCK, TMS, etc) are grounded. I program in active serial mode. But then I have no way of sending data back and forth. Hence my thought to repurpose the blaster as a generic SPI IO. Seems like is doable based on what you said, so I guess there is some reading in my future.  

Thanks!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

ok, I should have been more clear. I do have a 10pin connector on the board, but the JTAG lines to the FPGA (TCK, TMS, etc) are grounded. I program in active serial mode. But then I have no way of sending data back and forth. Hence my thought to repurpose the blaster as a generic SPI IO. Seems like is doable based on what you said, so I guess there is some reading in my future.  

--- Quote End ---  

The problem you will have is that the Active Serial signals on the 10-pin header are connected to the EPCS configuration EEPROM. You will not be able to "re-purpose" chip-select, since it is already in use by the EPCS device. 

If you have other FPGA pins connected to a 100-mil header, then I would recommend using those pins. You can still use the USB-Blaster, but you will avoid possible conflicts with the AS interface. 

Cheers, 

Dave