Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Read wait on nios component not working / bus timing problem ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have made a Nios/qsys VHDL component. 

The component has a read wait of 2 cycles (defined in signals & interfaces in qsys). (See attached JPG) 

In the component I implemented for test purposes a shift register and I read the contents of the shift register back with a C program: 

if (avalon_slave_byteenable='1') and (avalon_slave_address="0010") and (avalon_slave_read='1') and (RcvRdreq="0000") then RcvRdreq <="1111"; -- fill shift register at read end if; if (RcvRdreq/="0000") then -- shift shift register if not zero and set value on avalon bus: RcvRdreq <='0' & RcvRdreq(3 downto 1); -- shift register avalon_slave_readdata<="0000" & RcvRdreq; -- put value on bus end if; reading value of bus with C program:  

while (1) { int status; status =IORD_8DIRECT(COMP _BASE,2); printf("Status = %x\n",status); } The result I get in the nios console window is 0x0F. 

If I force the value of rcvRdrReq in the VHDL program, the output changes to the appropriate value, so reading of thebus at the right location works properly. 

The fact that i get 0x0F means that the value is read directly after issuing the read request and not after 2 cycles?  

I assume oversaw something but I do not see what ? Please comment.  

Thanks, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Solved, 

Value of 0xFF is correct. 

Interpretation of timing diagram was the problem. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.