Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

Read/write in HPS's registers with Nios II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, 

I'm working on a Cyclone V, and I want to read and write into HPS's registers. 

i have in qsys: 

- One Nios II Processor (with on-chip memory, jtag-uart, system id, etc.) 

- One HPS  

- (and other components) 

My Nios II processor act as a master and the HPS as a slave. 

in nios ii: 

I use IORD_32DIRECT, IOWR_32DIRECT, etc. 

in quartus: 

I watch signals thanks to signaltap (ARADDR, ARREADY, ARVALID, RLAST, RREADY, RVALID, BRESP, RRESP, RDATA, WDATA, etc.) 

documentation:  

The document I used for address maps is the following : https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5v4.pdf 

remarks and question:  

I noticed that I could read/write in SDRAM-ACP registers (0x00000000 to 0xC0000000) and Lightweight H-to-F registers (from 0xFF200000 to 0xFF400000): page 423 of the document. 

But what I want is to read/write at the address 0xFFC05000 which is the register for I2C1. The responses i get are BRESP and RRESP = 0x3 (which correspond to an error) 

My question is : do I have something to active/enable if I want to access to these registers?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

have you set the I2C to be routed to the FPGA (QSYS->HPS)?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello Taz, 

I found the problem: I had signals AWPROT and ARPROT = 0x2, which means I was in nonsecure access. I made a mask to force the bit 1 of these signals to 0 and now it's ok... 

Thank you anyway :)