Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12604 Discussions

Read/write in HPS's registers with Nios II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm working on a Cyclone V, and I want to read and write into HPS's registers. 

i have in qsys: 

- One Nios II Processor (with on-chip memory, jtag-uart, system id, etc.) 

- One HPS  

- (and other components) 

My Nios II processor act as a master and the HPS as a slave. 

in nios ii: 

I use IORD_32DIRECT, IOWR_32DIRECT, etc. 

in quartus: 

I watch signals thanks to signaltap (ARADDR, ARREADY, ARVALID, RLAST, RREADY, RVALID, BRESP, RRESP, RDATA, WDATA, etc.) 

documentation:  

The document I used for address maps is the following : https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5v4.pdf 

remarks and question:  

I noticed that I could read/write in SDRAM-ACP registers (0x00000000 to 0xC0000000) and Lightweight H-to-F registers (from 0xFF200000 to 0xFF400000): page 423 of the document. 

But what I want is to read/write at the address 0xFFC05000 which is the register for I2C1. The responses i get are BRESP and RRESP = 0x3 (which correspond to an error) 

My question is : do I have something to active/enable if I want to access to these registers?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

have you set the I2C to be routed to the FPGA (QSYS->HPS)?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Taz, 

I found the problem: I had signals AWPROT and ARPROT = 0x2, which means I was in nonsecure access. I made a mask to force the bit 1 of these signals to 0 and now it's ok... 

Thank you anyway :)
0 Kudos