Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Reading Input Pin

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I want to read a signal from a PIN. 

Everything ist fine I built it up in the SOPC Builder and declare a 8bit for Input. 

I chose 8Pins in Quartus and everything wotks fine. 

I can write Output to other Pins and it works also fine. 

But now I want to read a Pin if it 1 or 0. 

int in = IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(PIO_IN_BASE); 

printf("%i\n",in); 

Always they console print me 255. It doesen´t matter which PIN is on 3,3V from the Board. What I do wrong?? 

thx everybody for help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,maybe i ask my question in another way. 

What must i normally do when i want to read an input pin. 

In the SOPC Builder I chose an 8bit wide input. The Pins are correct connected in the Pin planner. 

The Quartus II Software runs correct and I have communication with the Nios II Prozessor.  

What must i normally do when i want to read an input pin now??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

IT looks like you are doing everything right. Using signaltap you can check the actual value of the 8-bti signal that you provide to the PIO, and verify that it is the value you set the pins to.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And if your pins are defined as inputs with weak pull-ups (which is the default on most devices) then they will read 1 unless you connect them to ground. Connecting them to Vccio won't change their value.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are right.I did everything right but the only problem is I did`t put them on Ground. Now it works thx a lot Daixiwen. (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=35770

Problem solved!
0 Kudos