Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Reason still provode sd card utility as linux dd command can do the same ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I a bit curious to ask around why we have multiple tools but they are actually doing the similar task? such as the SD card ulility and the dd command both also able to update the SD card partitions. any advantage of using only linux one?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the tool for sd utility is for those you are actively in embedded commadn shell, so can speed up their time to upload the content with out share the image file to another linux computer...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

for those people who love to build preloader and uboot from linux directly without using the provided bsp-editor. they should just use the dd instead... convenient... and hassle free. I think you read some of the guide that demostrade using the preloader and uboot update with the sd card alt-boot utility

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i can see the sd card utility feature not able to flash kernel or file system

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

i can see the sd card utility feature not able to flash kernel or file system 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, you don't need the sd card utility tool already if you are in linux operating system, especially for kernal adn fle system build, as the usage of the dd write command is more convenient already..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what is the command with the dd that end with bs for? some page i saw is 64k some is 1M.... any value will do?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

what is the command with the dd that end with bs for? some page i saw is 64k some is 1M.... any value will do? 

--- Quote End ---  

the BS is mean the block size, you may refer to the google for more usage information. as long as is in power of 2 will do.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You can refer to http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/gsrd150sdcard#4 

--- Quote End ---  

thanks for the details !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For reminder, always use the SD image file provided as that had been partition nicely for direct usage. Latest one usually located in rocketboard as well.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Got it.. thanks

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, if you want to have a faster writing speed of course 1M would be better... but usually thing such as boot loader or preloader just with a size in term of hundred kilobyte... so.. using a 1M size a bit funny.. :D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

welcome.. and enjoy the software programming !

0 Kudos