Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

Regarding reading SDRAM from HDL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi this is sundaram from University of waterloo. I'm currently working on a project that requires the controls to get modified based on certain bits. I was using the switches with the always block to monitor the changes. But now, as I'm thinking about a scalable solution, I was wondering if I could monitor changes in certain bits in the SDRAM with the always block. Please let me know how I can do that. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What would change those bits you want to monitor? It may be easier to create some control registers in your HDL that could be modified by an external CPU.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yea i need to do that exactly.. How can you create control registers in the HDL which can be modified by a nios core?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to create a component with an Avalon Memory Mapped Slave interface. This interface will let you expose registers that the CPU can read and write.

0 Kudos