Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Remote re-configure a Cyclone IV in Application-mode?

John
Novice

Is there a way to set the remote_update-core back to Factory-mode or re-configure to another image once it is in Application mode - i.e. without a power-cycle? Both my Factory & App-images have access to the remote_update-core.

Device: EP4CGX22CF19 with EPCS16 in AS-mode.

Q-Prime-lite 17.1.0.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi JHono,

In your application image design, did you set any write_param on the boot address that point to 0x100000? Please remove any write_param operation in the application image design. If you refer to Table 17: Cyclone IV Devices Remote Update Operation from the Remote Update user guide shows that you can only perform read_param operation in application image:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altremote.pdf

Also, please uncheck the POR_ERROR function in the application image design. This POF_ERROR function is only needed in the factory image to detect any invalid application image before reconfiguration process start.

Regards,

Nooraini

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Jhono,

You can just trigger the reconfig input from the RSU IP if you want to fall back from App images into Factory image. However there is no direct reconfiguration option between App image to another App image. Before you can reload a App image, you always need all back info Factory image and set all the parameter for the App image then trigger the reconfig input from RSU IP. You can refer to Figure 10: Remote Configuration Mode from the Altera Remote Update IP Core User Guide here:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altremote.pdf?GSA_pos=5&WT.oss_r=1&WT.oss=remote%20update

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
John
Novice

"You can just trigger the reconfig input from the RSU IP if you want to fall back from App images into Factory image." - This is exactly what I want to do, but it doesn't seem to work, when it is running the App-image.

When I write to ru_reconfig my hardware gets stuck trying to load an image from the EPCS16.

As further info: I can see in signaltap that it is trying to load an image from 0x100421 (my App-image lives at 0x100000).

Somehow the boot-address has been changed during re-config and as the MSM is now in mode 1, so I can't write new data into the RU_CSR.

CSR 0x10 has 0x020 in it and CSR 0x13 has 0x100400. The RSU IP appears to add these together to make a new load-address.

Do I need to configure something else in the CSR to make it boot back to the factory-image?

Thanks, John.

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi JHono,

In your application image design, did you set any write_param on the boot address that point to 0x100000? Please remove any write_param operation in the application image design. If you refer to Table 17: Cyclone IV Devices Remote Update Operation from the Remote Update user guide shows that you can only perform read_param operation in application image:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altremote.pdf

Also, please uncheck the POR_ERROR function in the application image design. This POF_ERROR function is only needed in the factory image to detect any invalid application image before reconfiguration process start.

Regards,

Nooraini

John
Novice

Brilliant, that fixed it! Unchecking POF_ERROR makes it boot from 0x000000 and removes some of the functionality of the RSU in the App-image. This means you can't use the same image for Factory & App , if you want POF_ERROR-checking in the Factory image.

Not a problem for me.

Thanks Nooraini.

0 Kudos