Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Require information to ping dp83848 PHY on my custom board.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! I am using Cyclone 2 device on my custom board. I also have dp83848 ethernet phy. I am trying to ping it. I have EPCS16 as my memory device, i am trying to allocate onchip memory for .bss, .rodata, .stack, .heap and other sections in bsp editor. But it shows an error saying onchip memory overflows. Is there any inbuilt design available to communicate with the ethernet phy. I tried triple speed ethernet component from sopc builder and also the simple socket server from nios application from template. I am not having enough idea to set proper parameters and other settings which is why I am not able to proceed. please... any advice is welcome. guide me through.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm pretty (really quite) sure that you won't have enough on-chip memory available to support the simple socket server example. Do you not have any external RAM available? Without that I suspect you'll struggle to use the triple speed Ethernet component with any of the example code. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There's no way a Cyclone II has enough on-chip memory to run Ethernet software.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you so much for your reply. I will add an external ram and try.

0 Kudos