Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12410 Discussions

Reuse values of Qsys generics in C++ app

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

when generating a Qsys system, a sopcinfo file is generated. This file can be used to created C/C++ headers containing a lot of macro definitions like base addresses, etc. What it is apparently missing are the values of generics. E.g. I would like to use the HPS user clock frequency in my C++ app without maintaining its value manually. I'm aware that the generic values are included in the sopcinfo file, so I could probably write a script to extract the desired values. But maybe there is an automatic way to do this already?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Perhaps the "sopc-generate-header-files" is the utility that you are looking for? It is installed with SoC EDS.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use this utility to generate headers. However, these headers do not include the values of generics. But I should check the parameters of the tool, maybe there is an option to include them.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hm, no, I don't see a option to include the generics.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the only way to transmit those kind of parameters to the C/C++ app is through a custom component. Please note that this example is quite old, I'm still working on a design with Quartus 11 and SOPC builder, but I think it should still apply to QSys and HPS designs. 

All those lines need to be put in the component's *_hw.tcl file 

The component needs a custom elaboration callback 

set_module_property ELABORATION_CALLBACK elaboration_proc 

Create a generic parameter for the component that takes a clock frequency as value 

add_parameter CLOCK_FREQ Integer set_parameter_property CLOCK_FREQ SYSTEM_INFO { CLOCK_RATE clock } set_parameter_property CLOCK_FREQ VISIBLE False set_parameter_property CLOCK_FREQ AFFECTS_ELABORATION True set_parameter_property CLOCK_FREQ AFFECTS_GENERATION False 

For that property to work you need a clock input port with the "clock" name 

# +----------------------------------- # | connection point clock # | add_interface clock clock end set_interface_property clock clockRate 0 set_interface_property clock ENABLED true add_interface_port clock csi_sys_Clk clk Input 1 

And then in the elaboration procedure you can transmit the value to the software layer 

# custom elaboration procedure proc elaboration_proc { } { set_module_assignment embeddedsw.CMacro.CLOCK_FREQ }  

It's probably overkill if you don't already have a custom component with custom driver but it's the only way I know, other than parsing the sopcinfo file yourself.