Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Runtime Stack Checking not working

Broddo
New Contributor I

Hi - I'm running C++ code on a Max10 and booting from the UFM. Everything works well enough, however, I'm trying to search for a hard to find bug. In the process of doing this, I thought I'd enable runtime stack checking. I did this by following the embedded developers guide.

I have enabled "runtime stack checking" and also enabled "instruction related exceptions" in the BSP. However, when I do this, the device stops booting properly - it never leaves alt_main(). It appears to continuously trigger a 'trap' exception while trying to configure the system clock timer (sys_clk_timer). However - this works fine if "runtime stack checking" is left turned off.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Can you share the BSP settings?

0 Kudos
Broddo
New Contributor I

Sure thing. Here is "settings.bsp" renamed as "settings.xml" to allow it to be uploaded to the forum.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the shared file, I will check it and let you know my comments

0 Kudos
Broddo
New Contributor I

Thanks! Some more info that might be useful: if I remove the system clock from the BSP but leave runtime stack checking enabled, it works fine also.

0 Kudos
Broddo
New Contributor I

I think I've found the answer. I'm using the vectored interrupt controller. Seciont 37.5.6 the Embedded Peripherals IP User Guide version 19.2 (page 452) states:

"The VIC does not support runtime stack checking feature (hal.enable_runtime_stack_checking) in the BSP setting."

That is most likely the reason then.

0 Kudos