Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

SD Card Controller Core In SOPC Builder

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does a core to interface an SD card exist in SOPC builder? if so, what is its name?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There's no made by Altera, but there are such cores made by other companies. You'll need license to use it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

oh I see thanks for u help!!!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Does a core to interface an SD card exist in SOPC builder? if so, what is its name? 

--- Quote End ---  

When looking for IP cores, be aware that there are two methods of interfacing to SD cards; SPI and parallel mode. The SPI mode is slower than the parallel mode. Access to the specification for the parallel mode interface requires joining the SD card organization, or at least signing an NDA (non-disclosure agreement). 

If you're looking for something free (but possibly slow), look at opencores for an IP core, or go find the specification (the SPI commands are published) and just implement access using an SPI controller and a NIOS processor. There should be plenty of examples of microcontroller code, eg. the LPC2000 Yahoo group, or the Circuit Cellar magazine are two places I recall seeing code or discussions. 

If you need something faster, then you'll have to buy an SD card IP core (and that IP core will come with the source code encrypted). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thnxxx so much, anyway I got the Core.

0 Kudos