Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

SD Card for SOPC with Fat32

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, 

I have a Cylone II board with a Micro SDCardon it. I would use a Fat32 formated Card und Quarts 9.0 SP2. Are there some IP Core forte SOPC builder to save some data (no Pictures) on this Card? 

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

The "Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI)" IP can give you low level access to and SD card. However, it's got no awareness of data structure - such as FAT32. If you want to store data in such a way as to be FAT32 compliant you'll have to look at doing so in software - and quite a lot of it. 

Cheers, 

Alex
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello Alex, 

of course that is an good idea. Actual i start to Transfer the generic Fat from this site 

http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html 

on my NiosII. 

Has anybody tryed this before? 

Thanks 

Andreas
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, 

it is not easy. My SD-Card doesn't answer. 

Can anybody help me how I can test my communication with the sd-card? 

Thanks
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Have you found this page (from the same site you had found)? 

http://elm-chan.org/docs/mmc/mmc_e.html 

Pay attention to the Initialization Procedure for SPI Mode (assuming that's how you're trying to access your SD card). Have you put your SD card into SPI mode? I won't respond until you do. 

Cheers, 

Alex