Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

SDC File, conflicting create_clock statements in IP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've created my timing constraints file. I use create_clk to define my system clk off my input pin (appropriately named clk) 

I'm using some Altera IP - the TSE. It creates a separate clock off this same pin, and complains. 

Ignored create_clock at eth_std_main_system_ethernet_subsystem_tse_mac_constraints.sdc(155): Incorrect assignment for clock. Source node: clk already has a clock(s) assigned to it. Use the -add option to assign multiple clocks to this node. Clock was not created or updated. 

create_clock -period "$DEFAULT_SYSTEM_CLOCK_SPEED" -name altera_tse_${CLK}_$TO_THE_VARIATION_NAME [ get_ports $CLK] 

If I include the "-add" in this statement, the error goes away. The error doesn't go away if I include the -add statement in my original file.... 

This implies that the order of how the SDC files are read is important. However, if I change the order in Quartus settings, when I go to test the SDC settings in Timequest, the files don't get read in that order. 

I already have a precompilation script that automatically runs that inserts new names for the clocks at the beginning of the file. It seems crazy that I have to resort to this 

What is the "correct" way to deal with this? 

0 Kudos
0 Replies