Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

SDRAM + NIOS not working

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Forum, 

as so many questioners here I struggle too to connect an Altera FPGA (EP4CE6E22C8) and a SDRAM to use it as program memory for the NIOS II. 

I already figured out that the nios2 works with on-chip memory and I also used the on-chip memory to test the SDRAM using IOWR_32DIRECT / IORD_32DIRECT which also worked (It was possible to write and read 32 bit values to the SDRAM). My Setup consists of a (megawizard) PLL that connects to the SDRAM and via clk_in to the sdram memory controller of the NIOS. The PLL locked-output is connected to the NIOS reset. However if I configure the Nios to use SDRAM only eclipse is not able to verify the downloaded program (ELF download failed).  

Since I am currently out of ideas what else I could check I would be very happy to get suggestions what else I might check in my setup.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Forum  

after further investigating my problem to connect the FPGA and SDRAM I again checked whether writing and reading works on all addresses – unfortunately I made a mistake in my first trial. Now after correcting this mistake it turned out that writing and reading just works for a few addresses – no matter which phase shift I've selected for the PLL (- which is quite strange). This is the nios code I’ve used to check access: 

unsigned char ledstate = 255; unsigned int memory_base = 0x02000000; //sdram baseaddress while (memory_base < 0x02000053) { //5a ledstate = 255; IOWR_16DIRECT(memory_base, 0, 0x50A0); if(IORD_16DIRECT(memory_base,0) == 0x50A0) ledstate &=~ (1<<4); else { ledstate &=~ (1<<6); } memory_base+=2; IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(0, ledstate); }  

I've got the following result: 

0x53 addresses can be accessed for the QSYS sdram_controller setting: 11 rows and 8 columns  

0x5A addresses can be accessed for the QSYS sdram_controller setting: 13 rows and 9 columns 

I think that my sdram-controller has the wrong setting. From the datasheet of the used SDRAM (W9864G6KH) I got this information: 1048576 words x 4 banks x 16 bits. Unfortunately there is no (I didn't found any) information on the number of rows and columns. 

I would be very happy if someone could give a hint how to get the correct sdram-controller configuration.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK after further testing I decided to scope the sdram_clk signal against clk_in and found significant jitter. So this might also explain why my memory test makes the nios to hang up after it passes offset + 0x4B - astonishingly that it works until this address. 

//#include "sys/alt_stdio.h"# include "altera_avalon_pio_regs.h" int main() { // alt_putstr("Hello from Nios II!\n"); unsigned char ledstate; unsigned int memory_base = 0x02000000; int contentcount; unsigned int content; ledstate = 255; while(memory_base < 0x0200004C) { //0x0200004B still works contentcount = 0; while(contentcount < 16) { content = 0; content += (1<<contentcount); IOWR_16DIRECT(memory_base, 0, content); if(IORD_16DIRECT(memory_base,0) == content) ledstate &=~ (1<<4); else { ledstate &=~ (1<<6); } contentcount++; if(memory_base & 0x02000049) ledstate &=~ (1<<7); else ledstate |= (1<<7); if(memory_base & 0x0200004A) ledstate &=~ (1<<5); else ledstate |= (1<<5); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(0, ledstate); } memory_base++; } ledstate = 255; IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(0, ledstate); // just to see whether NIOS hangs up or not while(1); return 0; }  

Further investigating revealed that only dedicated pins shall be used as a PLL clock output. The board containing the FPGA I recently purchased on ebay seems to be not connecting sdram_clk with the pin 43 (PLL1) or the pin 113 (PLL2) – accordingly to the datasheet these are the only PLL’s of the EP4CE6xxxx devices. 

If I just use one megawizard- generated pll the fitter will auto assign it with pll1 having its output @ pin 43. On my demoboard the SDRAM_clkin goes to PIN 60 of the FPGA which is not an PLL designated output. I will probably rewire the pcb by changing the tracks connected to 43 and 60 to see if my hypothesis is correct.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK seems to be my hypothesis is supported by evidence. I changed the connection on the board (see my attached image "FPGAboard.jpg") and voila now it works. The pll1 out at pin 43 now connects with the sdram clk_in at pin38 of the SDRAM and the former connection to sdram_we now reconnects to pin 60 of the FPGA . I used this occasion also to exchange the blue led’s against green ones and I also increased the pre resistors up to 2k. Maybe one should consider to invest more money into a terasic evalboard – to my knowledge the DE series seems to be well engineered