Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

SFP link/speed detection - NicheStack

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using NiosII + ucOSii + NicheStack in a webserver application. Instead of a regular MDIO-accessible PHY device I am using a SFP cage compatible with any standard SFP module (i2c accessible, various vendors). 

When NicheStack is started it warns about not finding a PHY on mdio, assumes default link and speed (100 Mbps) and then operates correctly. 

> SFP1 Link status changed: UP. Starting NicheStack... InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.1 Copyright 1996-2008 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved. prep_tse_mac 0 MAC Address: 00:07:ED:12:34:56 (*) Static IP Address is 172.16.100.50 prepped 1 interface, initializing... INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x0c013000 WARNING : MAC Groups->pmac_info MDIO is not used, unable to run PHY detection INFO : PCS - Configuring PCS operating mode INFO : PCS - PCS SGMII mode enabled Created "Inet main" task (Prio: 2) Created "clock tick" task (Prio: 3) WARNING : MAC Group - MDIO not enabled! Speed = 100, Duplex = Full OK, x=1, CMD_CONFIG=0x00000000 MAC post-initialization: CMD_CONFIG=0x04000203 RX descriptor chain desc (1 depth) created mctest init called IP address of et1 : 172.16.100.50 Created "web server" task (Prio: 11)  

Is there a possiblity to add a generic driver for SFP devices? The alt_tse_phy_add_profile method only seems to work if vendor/revision/OUI/model are precisely known. I want my application to accept/recognize any SFP module, as the register interface (i2c accessible) is JEDEC-standardized so from an operation point of view it wouldn't matter who produced it. 

The functions for getting link/speed indication over i2c I already have. 

What is the way to create a driver in such a case?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The driver is built with PHYs using MDIO in mind, so to support the SFP modules I think you will have to make your own driver. You can probably make a copy of the existing TSE driver and modify yourself the functions that detect the PHY and its speed.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Skimming altera_avalon_tse.c, it's not immediately obvious how to exactly accomplish it, but it looks like you want to declare your own instance of 'alt_tse_system_phy' with your own 'tse_phy_cfg' function, and register that via alt_tse_system_add_sys().  

Search altera_avalon_tse.c for that printf "MDIO not enabled! Speed = " and you'll find the if() else() clause where the existing software would have liked to run your user-supplied function tse_phy_cfg(). 

Good luck.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Skimming altera_avalon_tse.c, it's not immediately obvious how to exactly accomplish it, but it looks like you want to declare your own instance of 'alt_tse_system_phy' with your own 'tse_phy_cfg' function, and register that via alt_tse_system_add_sys().  

Search altera_avalon_tse.c for that printf "MDIO not enabled! Speed = " and you'll find the if() else() clause where the existing software would have liked to run your user-supplied function tse_phy_cfg(). 

Good luck. 

--- Quote End ---  

This I also had in mind, but it is not the ideal solution cause I have to touch BSP files --> can create problems later the BSP gets regenerated with a later release of stack. I was hoping for a non-intrusive way, but seems there's no such way... I'll go with it then. 

Thanks!