Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

SRAM Problem in Stratix

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We have a NIOS design running at a clock speed of 92 MHz in a Stratix part that will have Flash and SRAM. All of our program memory is to reside in SRAM(IDT714V416L) after boot from flash.  

We are able to run the debugger on one out of 10 of our boards but the other 9 seem to be having problems just getting started. Almost looks like we are in a permanent reset(reset has been verified to be inactive). We did a test on one of the non working boards by puting a little "Hello World" test in onboard M4K and that worked fine but will not run the same test running form SRAM.  

To me this points to timing problems acessing SRAM. Aother thing that is puzzling is that when you look at the memory through the debugger, it appears that the SRAM has correct data in it. Am I getting fooled by the debugger somehow? We also run the Altera memory test which supposedly verifies the SRAM interface and that works correctly. 

We do not have any constraints on any of the I/O going to the SRAM/Flash. The assumption is that since these are registered I/O that it would not be necessary. Is this assumption correct? 

Any help would be appreciated resolving this issue.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try to slowdown your clock, the sram on the dev. board is 10ns speed grade, I mean, the tRC and tWC of the SRAM is 10ns. Your system runs at 92M which approaches the upper limit.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found our problem. Turned out it was an address loading problem due to a Flash Memory that was mis-powered.

0 Kudos