Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

SRAM slower then IDT71V416

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I use a SRAM component slower then the IDT71V416  

(my SRAM is 15n instead of 10n) do I need to configure a new 

component in the SOPC builder ? 

If so, why no one thought of a general component (like SDRAM, Flash components?)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We've considered this, and indeed, with a bit of extra time it might have been something to add to the Nios II kit. However, the Component Editor or older Interface to User Logic are each capable of creating an interface to SRAM, as they can create customized off-chip tri-state interfaces.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My problems using the new component wizard for my SRAM: 

1. the time table is not clear , when is the reading taking place? 

the unit options are: nsec,usec,msec but the time table is in cycles.is it cycles or time units? 

2. I tried to put a variable address but the SOPC editor doesn't recognize it.(it works with const. values)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just keep jacking with the setup. The setup wizard is buggy but works.  

What would be real nice would be a programmable controller. (Setup the timing registers in software - yahoo!) 

The new Create New Component way of doing things is a real pain getting things tweaked in. Not only do you have to do a regenerate; but you have to edit your component timing, then delete the old instance, add a new instance and not forget to redo the connections. 

At least with the old IUL way you just had to edit your timings and regen. 

Ken
0 Kudos