Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

SSS Task Never Starting

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am attempting to run the simple socket server (RGMII) on my custom board. I have run a memory test and verified all of my SDRAM is working and the SSS design is using the same hardware and configuration. I've also run a hello world from the RAM to verify it is working. The ostaskcreateext function exits without an error to create the SSSInitialTask, but the SSSInitialTask never starts. The program just stops after that. It seems the processor is never switching to the initial task. 

I put a breakpoint at the start of the initial task and it never gets hit. When I debug it's just an endless loop of timer interrupts. 

Can anyone help with this? 

Also, I did modify the SSS example to take out all of the function calls to read the flash. My flash memory is broken, and thus not being used. Not sure if that affects this.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just tried running the microC hello world and it also failed. Tasks never start.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does the scheduler start correctly? 

Do you have a system timer component in your system and is it working? The scheduler will freeze if the system timer doesn't generate any interrupts.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Does the scheduler start correctly? 

Do you have a system timer component in your system and is it working? The scheduler will freeze if the system timer doesn't generate any interrupts. 

--- Quote End ---  

How can I tell if the scheduler starts correctly and what would cause it to not start correctly? 

I have two interval timers in my design, one for each clock speed. The main one is 75 MHz, timeout is 10 us. It appears to be generating interrupts because if I suspend the process in debug it's almost always servicing that interrupt.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I switched the system timer in the BSP editor to the other interval timer and now the hello world is working. Hopefully the other program will also work.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

10us is too fast for a system timer IMHO. Usual values are rather 100Hz (10 ms) or 1kHz (1ms).

0 Kudos