Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Sampling Multiple Channels with the ADC at The Same Time

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I am currently trying to sample two differential signals at the same time and I was wondering if there is an easy way to do this in the c code. I can currently sample one channel using the adc code provided in the DE1_SoC_ADC file provided in the CD. However, I cannot find good documentation on how the code works for me to properly adjust the code. I know I can accomplish this task by independently turning on the ADC for one channel, record data, turn off that channel. Then, turn on the other channel and sample. However, I feel as though I will not be sampling at the proper rate if I do this. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To give more information, I am using the Qsys editor with the adc_ltc2308 block. I am guessing that I have to edit the block to take 2 bit inputs as opposed to the default 1 bit option.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

To give more information, I am using the Qsys editor with the adc_ltc2308 block. I am guessing that I have to edit the block to take 2 bit inputs as opposed to the default 1 bit option. 

--- Quote End ---  

It is not matter of coding. An ADC has to sample analogue signal and I never heard of a single ADC sampling multiple channels in time sharing way. Use two ADCs then do your processing shared in digital domain.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It is not matter of coding. An ADC has to sample analogue signal and I never heard of a single ADC sampling multiple channels in time sharing way. Use two ADCs then do your processing shared in digital domain. 

--- Quote End ---  

Okay, am I not understanding this paragraph in the manual? http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11287&stc=1  

It says that the ADC can be configured to accept eight input signals.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it means 8 ADC devices to me (call it channels). 

8 inputs to 8 ADCS (one input per ADC) 

8 outputs from 8 ADCs, at this side the speed of each ADC output being 500Ksps Versus serial clock of 40MHz is exploited to que them up as 500Ksps *8 = 4MHz
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

it means 8 ADC devices to me (call it channels). 

8 inputs to 8 ADCS (one input per ADC) 

8 outputs from 8 ADCs, at this side the speed of each ADC output being 500Ksps Versus serial clock of 40MHz is exploited to que them up as 500Ksps *8 = 4MHz 

--- Quote End ---  

I did some more research. That statement does not mean that there are 8 ADCS. There are 8 input pins that are connected via a mux which then goes into a single ADC. I am just going to write some code to ping between two channels and see how that works.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I did some more research. That statement does not mean that there are 8 ADCS. There are 8 input pins that are connected via a mux which then goes into a single ADC. I am just going to write some code to ping between two channels and see how that works. 

--- Quote End ---  

ok with such slow ADC it is possible to mux any number of inputs so one adc is time shared between them like a queue. 

As such what matters to you should be how read the relevant channel in the queue. This info should be available to you from vendor.