Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12367 Discussions

Simple Socket Server Plus errors: undefined reference to 'install menu' & to 'stooges

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I downloaded the Simple Socket Server Plus example from here: http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/simplesocketserverplus and built the software project using the scripts provided via the Nios II command shell. I imported those files into Eclipse to create a Nios II app folder and BSP folder in Eclipse.  

I wanted to use those files for my FPGA board (Stratix III dev board), which is different than what the software was designed for (Cyclone III dev board). So I made a new Nios II application and BSP following the same steps I used for creating the regular Simple Socket Server software project in this pdf: https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/tt/tt_nios2_tcpip.pdf, except that I added the SSS plus files to the project and I also enabled the altera_ro_zipfs software package in the BSP editor. 

I did modify the files so that the hardware such as the LED_PIO are named correctly in the C files. 

When I try to build the project I get the following two errors: 

undefined reference to `install_menu' demo_control.c line 55  

undefined reference to `stooges' line 0  

These definitions can be found in menu.h which is in <projectname>_bsp/iniche/src/h/ 

Why can't the project access these definitions? Do I need to change something so that these definitions get linked properly to the software files like demo_control.c? The header of demo_control.c has a# include "menu.h" statement, so why is that not sufficient? 

I am a relative beginner to FPGA and C programming, and I am self-taught, so explanations of relevant concepts or terms are especially helpful to me. 

Thanks, 

Erin
0 Kudos
0 Replies