Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

SoCKit pin assignment

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am new with Arrow SoCKit board. I did Hardware and Software Labs, and now, I want to implement my own system. After configuring system in Qsys, it generates hdl files. The top-level file contains entity with a bunch of ports (hps to memory, emac, ...) for which I have to make pin assignment. This is where the problem rises for me. I do not know how to do that. I did it for simple designs with my Altera DE0 board before, by manually editing locations in Pin Editor, but this seams much more complex. I suppose this is not done manually. I read that this can be done by executing TCL script generated by Qsys, but how TCL script knows where I want to connect my ports ? It must have some external info, in some file or something ... (I am not familiar with scripts). Any help will be very important for me. 

Thanks in advance, 

Igor
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I did it for simple designs with my Altera DE0 board before 

--- Quote End ---  

This thread has a project with scripts for the DE0-nano ... 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45927 

For the SoCKit, you should be able to export a Tcl script for an existing project, and then break up that script into the constraints script like I have provided for the DE0-nano. 

The "key" to using scripts is that you should always use a top-level entity with all the pin assignments on the physical PCB, and the pin assignments script provide assignments to the ports (pins) on that top-level entity. If a design does not use a particular signal, then any outputs can either be driven to a valid logic level, or tristated. Look at the de0_nano.vhd top-level design for an example. 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Dave. I did it. It works !!!