Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

SocEDS Installation on Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can anyone point me to SoC EDS installation instructions  

for Linux?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can anyone point me to SoC EDS installation instructions  

for Linux? 

--- Quote End ---  

This page should provide all information you need: 

altera.com/download/software/soc-eds
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ! 

What is your problem exactly - installation of the SoC EDS or working with the SoC EDS after installation? 

At first you need to install SoC EDS from distributive (downloaded from altera.com). Then you must start the DS-5 installator from DS-5 installation folder (I don't remember exactly name - it look like /embedded/ds-5_installator). This installator works in console mode. 

If the Eclipse from your SoC EDS doesn't start under Linux after installation, see the ARM's recommendation: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.faqs/ka14522.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I just tried installing SocEDS 13.1 on a linux mint 15 xfce (x64), but it just returns to the prompt before displaying any splash screen ( with no error msg ). 

The same binary starts correctly on ubuntu 12.04. 

Is there anything I can do to figure out why the installer won't start ? (Was trying to avoid ubuntu due to lack of love for unity) 

Thanks,  

bp
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is Lubuntu installation, which is Ubuntu with "normal" interface. 

I installed SocEDS there.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion. In the end I went for ubuntu but with XFCE installed on top of it....

0 Kudos