Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

Software Update for NIOS without reconfiguring FPGA (Max10)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey there, 

this is my first post in this forum and I haven't dived deep into the NIOS Softcores yet, but I encountered an architectural problem alreay. 

In my final product I want to have the option to update the firmware running inside the Softcore (NIOS) without reconfiguring the complete FPGA that I'm using (goal right now is to use a fairly big Max10 device). It is important that the data is retained after a startup! 

Everything I've tried so far has always resulted in getting me just a complete programming file for the FPGA. My idea was along the lines of just putting the Nios into reset (while other parts are still working, not 100% sure right now) and then just reprogram the portion of the memory that holds the Nios firmware. 

Is something like this even possible? 

best regards, Marc
0 Kudos
0 Replies