Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Start and done ports of multicycle custom instruction

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I have read through the NIOS II Custom Instruction User Guide and there is one thing I am not really clear about: 

For a variable multicycle custom instruction, the ci master asserts start for one cycle, and the done output should notify the processor once the result is valid. However, what I am wondering is, isn't the information contained in start and done highly correlated to the information in clk_en?  

I.e.: Rising edge of clk_en <-> start; falling edge of clk_en <-> done. 

Is that right or is there something wrong in my thinking? 

And if I am right, so why would you still need extra start and done ports then? 

Many thanks. 

Jimmy
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That wouldn't work at all for instructions that take a variable number of cycles. 

I'd actually check that 'clk_en' isn't actually used when the processor needs to stall the custom instruction unit because of a pipeline stall somewhere. In which case 'done' would only be actioned when 'clk_en' was valid. 

I've only written combinatorial instructions though. 

If something is a 'bit too slow' for a single cycle combinatorial instruction it might be worth using 2 instrcutions and cycling a 32bit intermediate through a cpu register. That would give a 2 cycle instruction with no result delay.