Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Strange Nios latency

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have SOPC Nios system with onchip_mem. Program (resides in onchip_mem) works very slowly. 

In SignalTab I see strange Nios latency. 

Time between two simple writes is 48 Nios clock cycles! Why so? I suppose it should take 4 cycles. 

Test example  

int main() 

{  

while(1) 

IOWR(0x00020000, 0x1, 0x1);  

IOWR(0x00020000, 0x2, 0x2);  

}
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is there at that address? Is it a component? Does it freeze the CPU with a wait_request signal? Is that component or the on-chip memory shared with another master? Is that master active?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And if the slave is in a different clock domain than the master then the handshake can take some time too

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Also check the read latency setting in the onchip_mem properties. It defaults to 1 cycle, but maybe you inadvertently changed it.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Master only one - Nios, clock is the same. 

0x00020000 is onchip_mem and it haven't wait_request. 

How I can understand does Nios stalls or it have some activity? :confused:
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Read latency=1, 

In onchip_mem.v I see: the_altsyncram.outdata_reg_a = "UNREGISTERED"  

while in doc "On-chip memory components use synchronous, pipelined Avalon-MM slaves" 

What is correct?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is the memory block 32bite wide? 

Also look at the generated code, how many instructions are there between the memory cycles?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Onchip is 32bit wide. 

One IOWR (Nios IDE> Disassembly Window) have 4 instruction. So the time between real write (stwio) is 5 cycles. I have 55 cycles (for this code) >> 11 cycles for 1 instruction. ??? :mad: 

IOWR(0x00020000, 0x1, 0x1);  

0x0001007c <main+32>: movhi r3,2 

0x00010080 <main+36>: addi r3,r3,4 

0x00010084 <main+40>: movi r2,1 

0x00010088 <main+44>: stwio r2,0(r3) 

IOWR(0x00020000, 0x2, 0x2);  

0x0001008c <main+48>: movhi r3,2 

0x00010090 <main+52>: addi r3,r3,8 

0x00010094 <main+56>: movi r2,2 

0x00010098 <main+60>: stwio r2,0(r3)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Found ! Nios adds 8 cycles to every instruction when you run in debug mode. I compiled program as Release and Run program. In Signal Tab see 2 cycles for IOWR. 

Thanks all ! ;)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You've not said which cpu you are using (/f /s or /e). 

Are you executing the code out of tightly coupled memory, or via the instruction cache? 

If you are using the instruction cache and are looking at the first 2 writes, then there may be instruction cache fills taking extra time. 

In that case, the times between the later writes would be faster. 

The /f cpu will execute 1 instruction every clock (from tightly coupled instruction memory or instruction cache). 11 clocks is somewhere near the value for a clock crossing bridge (10 clocks??). 

I've measured 3 clocks for Avalon MM transfers to local PIO (1 clock delay configured for reads and writes), on chip memory might to 0 clock delay writes.